"Who?" Pil asked. "The cops or the press?"

"I don't know. Both, maybe."

They paused their conversation while a woman with a baby got into the car next to them. It took her a long time, as she strapped the baby into the car seat, and then finally got in the driver's side. They all sat silently until her car pulled out of the parking space. Pil was staring out the window now, biting a fingernail, and deep in thought. They all just sat in silence for a moment, watching the traffic whiz by on 7th East.

"He wanted to kill me," Keith said suddenly.

The SUV seemed unnaturally silent as his words faded. When Keith looked up, he could see that Michelle and Pil were gazing at each other with concern in the rear-view mirror.

"Didn't you see it? He had a pen in his hand. He wanted to stab me."

"Pea, I think he was just trying to get out of the courtroom," Michelle said, taking his hand. "He was trying to climb over everybody, and we were just in his way. I don't think he knows who you are."

"Of course he does," Keith snapped, with impatience in his voice he immediately regretted. He turned sideways to look at Michelle. "He saw me with Richard the night he was shot. I think maybe he wanted to kill us both that night, but something..." His voice trailed off. "Something happened. I don't know what. But I don't think he finished what he came to do. I saw it in his eyes. I think he still wants to kill me."

Keith felt Pil's and Michelle's eyes on him, as if he had lost his mind. "Oh, honey, I don't think so..." Michelle said, squeezing his hand. Keith didn't respond, and the conversation went silent.

They don't believe me, Keith thought. But I'm not wrong. I saw it. I know he was looking at me. I saw the pen. If Pil hadn't... his thoughts trailed off, unwilling to articulate what would have come next.

I've cheated death now. Not once, but twice...

Michelle tried to change the subject. "Well," she said with fake brightness in her voice. "I don't know about you, but I'm hungry. Let's say we get some dinner. How about the Old Spaghetti Factory?"

Keith knew it was right behind them, in the Trolley Square complex. He and Michelle had eaten there a lot, and it was also a place he had frequented with Richard. Part of him didn't want to go in, but he had to admit, he was famished. He'd skipped lunch, worried about the hearing, and dinner sounded really good.

"Sure," said Keith.

"You know me," Pil said with a broad grin. "I'm a Pastafarian."

The meal was awkward, despite the fast service and the perky waitress

The meal was awkward, despite the fast service and the perky waitress. The trio tested out several topics of conversation, but they all sputtered and died on the table. When the food came, they just ate in silence, and none of them wanted desert.

"How about staying with us tonight, Pea?" Michelle asked, as they were standing outside of Big Bird in the quickly fading light of early evening.

"No, I think I need to be at home," Keith said.