Chapter 2 - First Day on Campus

(Luz POV)

I woke up with a jolt as the plane touched down. I looked at my phone. The time read 2:00pm. I was glad I ate a biscuit before I left. The flight attendant began to tell everyone to exit the plane. I grabbed my bags and walked out of the plane and into the airport.

I walked through the halls and arrived at the entrance. There sat a few buses. They read Hexide on their sides. "All students going to Hexside make your way to the buses!" called a voice from the buses. I then made my way to one of them. I walked in and saw many kids my age roughhousing. I slowly made my way to the back of the bus. Soon after an hour, the bus set off towards the school.

The ride was surprisingly peaceful. The kids became calm by the time we were moving and I could actually hear myself think. After only a few minutes, we arrived at campus. When I walked out of the bus, I was amazed. I looked around the campus and saw how grand the school looked. It looked like walking in Hogwarts, but it was modern day.

I got a good look around before someone caught my attention. I recognized someone in the crowd. They had pale skin with a large scar on his right jaw which went up his cheek, golden eyes, and white hair with a large strain of hair dangling over his face. "Hunter?" I called out. The guy looked at me.

"Luz?" I dropped my bags.

"Hunter!" I ran over to my old friend. We hugged for a good minute. "Where have you been! I haven't seen you in forever!" Hunter laughed.

"Typical Luz. Always wanting to know everything about anyone." He lightly punched my shoulder and I laughed. "Well before I tell you, you need to get to your dorm. I'll show you the way to the dorms." I grabbed my bags and we walked to the dorms.

There weren't many students in the building. Probably because there were more dorm buildings. We walked up to the front desk and a woman with long black hair was standing there. There was a name board on the desk which read, Lilith Clawthorne.

"Is this dorm building C... um... Ms. Clawthorne?" She perked up and looked at me and smiled.

"Yes it is dear and just call me Lilith. Are you new?" Her voice sounded so sophisticated and soft.

"Yes I am. I'm Luz, Luz Noceda." Her eyes widened.

"So you're Luz. I heard you were coming." She then typed on her computer and looked back at me and Hunter. She turned around and grabbed something and handed it to me. "This is your room key. Remember you'll be sharing the room."

"And who am I sharing the room with?" Lilith looked back at her computer.

"You'll be sharing the room with Amity Blight." I didn't know who Amity Blight was but I did want to find out but not right away. I walked to the elevator and got off on the third floor. I didn't have to walk far until I reached my dorm. I used the key to unlock it and walked in.

It looked empty like it was abandoned years ago. It wasn't like the dorm I was expecting. It had its own living room! I looked over to the left and saw a makeshift kitchen, it was mostly counter space, a few cabinets, a bar, a one burner oven, and a microwave. I ventured further in and looked around. I was amazed at how big the dorm was. I then looked right and saw two doors. I knew they were the actual rooms. There were two doors. I remembered I had a second key on the keychain. I stuck the key into the keyhole in the door on the left and began to turn it.

I perked up when I heard it click. I gently pushed the door open. The room wasn't as big as the one I have back home but it wasn't small either. It had one twin sized bed, a nightstand, a dresser, and a small closet that had those tall folding doors. I set my bags on my bed and soon left the dorm. I locked it behind me and met up with Hunter at the front desk.

"Ready?" he asked. I nodded and we soon left the building. The sun was setting over the top of the school clock tower. It looked so beautiful like the sun of another realm replaced ours. We started a small conversation while we walked.

"Where are we going?" I asked curiously. Hunter smiled.

"We're going to the best cafè on campus," was all he said before we started talking about something else random. We soon arrived at the place. I looked at the sign on the top of the building. It read, "Park's Coffee". I looked at the place. It was mostly covered in plants, obviously because the place was plant themed, and I saw two kids who were my age sat at a table talking.

One of them had short black hair and wore a yellow rain jacket. The kid sitting next to her looked to be shorter than her, he had dark skin, short black hair and was wearing a light blue jacket. The two noticed us and waved at us. Hunter waved back while I waved shyly. We sat down at their table.

"Evening Willow and Gus. How long have you two been here waiting for us?"

"Gus and I have been here for about an hour waiting." Gus nodded his head in agreement. "So you're the famous Luz Noceda I reckon." I felt flustered at the comment and blushed.

"Yes, that's me." I looked over at Hunter. "So you have been telling them about me?" He nodded.

"Why wouldn't I? You're an extraordinary person and a great friend." I smiled and shoved him playfully. He shoved me back a bit harder and we started a cat fight. I noticed Willow and Gus laughing.

"Are you two dating by any chance?" asked Gus curiously. Hunter and I stopped and shot him a look making him subside.

"It's more like a brother sister relationship," I explained, "we tried to date, but it didn't feel right so we decided to just stay friends." Hunter nodded in agreement. "So you still haven't told me what you have been up to since we last saw each other."

"Oh! I forgot I was going to tell you." He then cleared his throat and began. "The last time Luz and I saw each other was the middle of Freshman year. I had to leave because my parents died in a car crash and my Uncle Belos took me in and I moved to his farm. He home schooled me for about a year until he had little to no time to teach me so he struck a deal with Principle Bump to let me attend here for free."

"How did your uncle make that deal?" Hunter chuckled.

"The two were already friends and they attended Hexide years ago," he explained. I nodded and we all soon started to talk. We talked about almost everything. We all exchanged numbers and parted ways after we ordered and ate.

I walked alone to my dorm. Willow, Gus, and Hunter all stay in the same dorm building, which isn't far from mine. I walked in the door and saw Lilith. She looked like she was half asleep. I asked why she was still at the desk. She said she was waiting for one more student to arrive. I gave her my nearly full coffee so she could stay awake and she thanked me. I walked to the elevator and went to my floor.

I walked through the hallway and arrived at my dorm. I unlocked the door and walked in. I walked to my room and started to unpack. I put my clothes in the dresser and the closet, I layed out the other things I had brought like my The Good Witch Azura collection, my laptop, and some other essentials. I took my shower things to the bathroom and organized them in one of the mirror door cabinets.

It had been about an hour since I had started to unpack and it was 9:30. I decided to start getting ready for bed. I brushed my teeth and dressed in a plain black t-shirt and some grey shorts but before I could get in bed, I heard something. It was the dorm door opening. "Shit, I forgot to lock it," I said quietly. Then I heard footsteps.

They got louder and louder until they stopped. I noticed there was a shadow on the other side of the door. I gulped as the knob turned and the figure kicked the door open.