Cordially Invited

Start from the beginning

"Cassidy, I wanted to ask you." Harry's eyes pulled me back, Ron and Hermione in a deep argument over Ron's attention span. "Um... Lupin said we could start with the Dementor practice this week, is Thursday night good for you? It would be around 8, because I have quidditch."

"Oh, yeah! That's perfect, Harry, thank you I had almost forgotten."

"Lucky you, I can't forget with Oliver hovering over me every quidditch game asking if I've gotten the 'situation' under control."

I chuckled, realizing he was watching my face closely. It took everything in my power not to reach up to feel the bruises lining my cheek to feel if my makeup was wearing off, but knowing that would only draw more attention.

"Was um... everything okay with your dad? The owl?" He finally asked the question that I realized he had wanted to ask all along. "I talked him out of sending any more, especially after you didn't respond to his, he was freaking out anyway, thinking he bothered you or something."

I felt my heart sink, thinking back to how that was one of his first questions yesterday, never thinking that either of the Weasley twin's could fracture their egos over not getting a response.

"Yeah, it... he was just mad, but, he got over it." I lied.

"That's good. I get it, my uncle used to threaten to send Hedwig away if she wouldn't keep quiet, but at least they let me keep her." We finally reached the main floor and Hermione and Ron looked back at us. "My aunt and uncle are loads nicer to me now, ever since Hagrid gave my cousin a pigs tail. I could send him your way if you'd like?"

I laughed, genuinely this time, but shook my head.

"Miss Cassidy Olsen." I heard my name echo from two identical voices and spun to see the twins, Ron looking on as if already expecting some sort of theatrical prank to occur.

"Do we have great news for you!" Fred smiled down at me and I prayed he wouldn't note the pink that I could feel rising to my cheeks, thinking of waking up next to him this morning.

"And what's that?" I asked, looking between the two of them.

"You are cordially invited," George started, sounding as if he was reading off a wedding invitation.

"To stay at the great house of Weasley this summer." Fred finished for his brother, his eyes searching mine, seeming nervous.

"What?" I asked, looking back at the trio, who shared my shocked expression.

"Mum already agreed. Just got the letter back." George shrugged, looking to his twin.

"That's lucky, Cassidy. I usually only get a few weeks with them, not a whole summer!" Harry still looked slightly confused, but somewhat jealous. Most of the school knew about Harry's bad luck with his family and how he was still made to go back to them for a portion of each summer for some reason.

"Guys, that's sweet but I can't accept." I gave George a sorry smile and Fred a knowing look.

"Oh, but you have to. Once mum says it, it's happening." George tapped my nose and I winced, feeling the slight ache underneath my eye.

"I'll see you guys later, okay?" I looked to the group and nodded down the hallway at Fred, who took my hint.

We walked together in silence until the noise of our friends had died down before I looked over to him.

"What did you do?"

"Nothing! I just asked mum if you could come this summer, said it was important. She agreed without a second thought. It's always a full house over there, what's one more?"

"Fred, I have to go home. I'll be in huge trouble-"

"That doesn't matter, Cassidy. You're never going back there, so you're never going to be in trouble again."

I raised my eyebrows at him. "Being friends with you? That sounds impossible."

"So you'll come right?" He ignored my joke.

"Freddie, I cant. I would feel awful, your parents don't even know me-"

"They'll love you."

"I'm... I'm muggle born."

"Oh, come on. That's not seriously even a concern, is it? We don't give a shit about that."

I looked around wildly as if I was being pranked. This boy would not let up.

"If I don't come home this summer, he'll kill me."

"He's never going to lay eyes on you again, Cassidy." Fred's eyes were dark as he spoke.

"How? You're saying I'm never going back there? That's where I live!"

"Not anymore!" He shook his head at me, as if I wasn't understanding. "You're staying with us. It's not even a big deal, it's a little over two months of the year, you take up next to no room, Ginny will love having a new sister, Mum obviously was trying hard for a daughter, she'd love a second."

"Fred, you're insane!" I took a step away from him, but felt his hand close on my wrist, carefully pulling me back.

"You're coming. This was my way to fix it without going to Dumbledore. That's what you wanted yeah?"

"I'll be imposing on your family, Fred. For a long time, according to your plan."

"They want you to stay, Cassidy. Trust me. You trust me, right?"

He was smiling at me, knowingly. As if I had already said yes.

"Did you tell them? About my dad?"

He pressed his lips together, looking guilty. "I told my mum, Cassy, I had to explain."

"It's okay. She won't... tell anyone, right?"

"No, she's sworn to secrecy." He answered, looking annoyed at my question.

"And did you tell George?" I was nervous about this one. Having anyone at school know was a risk, much less having two people. Two of the loudest and most popular students in their house.

"I haven't. But, I'd like to... He'd be upset if he found out I kept it from him."

I nodded, thinking hard. I knew the feeling, being that close with your sibling that you'd be upset at them keeping important secrets from you.

"Could you just wait a little while before you tell him? Until the bruises go away? I don't want him looking at them, at me, like you do."

"How do I look at you?" He exclaimed, his eyebrows bunching together.

"Like I'm broken and need everyone to be careful of me. Like I'm fragile."

Fred shook his head quickly, without even thinking.

"No, I do not. Hey," He took my hands in his and I swallowed nervously. "I think you're so strong."