Ten

"Wait!" Angela yelled as she ran down the train platform.

The snow had started falling again by the time she reached the station. There were only so many trains leaving at 8:06 P.M. and she hoped she had made the right choice. At first, she didn't think it was enough—not loud enough, not soon enough. She stopped to catch her breath, and just as she was about to give up hope, Seth reemerged from the train, eyes wide with surprise.

She let out a desperate groan. Forcing her sore muscles and aching lungs to move, she pushed herself forward again. She stopped only when he was within her reach and she wrapped her arms around his neck.

He held her tight; he was warm. Like the hot chocolate they'd shared, like a roaring fire on the coldest night. He was comfort in the dark, the light of hope.

They stood like that only a moment longer before Seth took a step away to assess her. "Angela? What are you doing—"

"Shut up and let me talk." She panted once more before she met his gaze. "I can't let you leave without knowing the truth about me."

"I've been trying to figure that out since the day I met you at Cuervo Negro."

"I know, and I know I've been less than forthcoming, and there's a reason for it."

"Does it have anything to do with David?"

Angela blinked. "What? No. I mean, not exactly."

Seth raised a brow in question.

"But David's not the point," Angela continued. "It's more about what's happened since we met, and why I don't want what happened to David to happen to you too."

The booming voice of the announcement system broke into their conversation.

"The 8:06 train will be departing from Platform Three in two minutes.

Time was running short, apparent by the pleading look on Seth's face.

"The point is... regardless of what coffee you drink or how you dress or whether my friend likes you or not, none of that matters. All that matters is what I think of you—the good I see in you. And I know that it's something I'm willing to chance, and forget all the rest."

"Angela—"

"And I'm sorry. There's so much I need to tell you, but I know there's no time to tell it to you now, even though I want to bare my soul, regardless of the ramifications."

"You don't need to do that."

"I know. But I want to. Just like I want to do this."

She didn't allow him the chance to counter her. She didn't think, didn't pause to consider her actions. Instead, she leaned into him and, with her arms tight around his neck, brought her lips to his.

Kissing Seth was sweeter than she ever could have imagined, and she closed her eyes to cherish the moment. The sound of the trains pulling in and out of the station around them was drowned out by the rushing of blood through her body. The Christmas snow falling around them melted against her heated cheeks. She smiled against his lips. Kissing Seth just felt... good.

"How about I meet you for coffee as soon as I get back," he said softly when their lips finally parted. His hand remained on her face, his thumb gently caressing her cheek as their eyes met in such a way that Angela's stomach tightened and her toes curled in her boots.

"I would like that very much," she whispered, as if afraid talking too loud would frighten him away for good.

He smiled. "I'll try to be home for New Year's."

"I'll keep the champagne chilled."

His smile broadened as he leaned in to kiss her brow. The announcement that the train was departing sounded once more, and there was no more time to delay. Seth gave her one more kiss, gave her hands one more squeeze, and she watched as he disappeared through the train car's door.

Seth let out a huff as he sat down in the plush seat of the train car, his attention remaining on Angela where she stood on the platform until the train rolled on and she disappeared out of sight

"I told you she was good. I knew you'd like her. You really do need to pay attention to me more often."

Seth pulled his attention from the window and towards the prim and proper British gentleman now sitting in the seat across from him. His three-piece suit was impeccable, as always, and the wire-rimmed reading glasses resting on the end of his nose completed the pompous get-up.

Shaking his head, but unable to remove the smile from his face, Seth turned his attention to the passing landscape outside the window.

"When you're right, you're right," Seth agreed with his friend. "Happy Holidays to you too, Michael."

The End