Five

The White Page bookstore was nestled in the middle of the city's main thoroughfare, with constant traffic moving in and around the store. Probably one of the longest-running independent bookstores in the area, Angela loved the smell of old parchment and new books as it mingled with the scents wafting from small café's baked goods. Various breads and muffins, fresh from the ovens, waited behind the glass display case, just begging to be devoured. Aside from her own apartment, it was her favorite place to be. Which was all the more reason she'd invited Seth to meet her there—not that she wasn't comfortable being with him, but she felt better being on neutral ground in a comfortable and familiar atmosphere. If Delilah was there, she'd at least have to applaud her for meeting him somewhere she knew was safe.

To her surprise, he had beat her there. He sat at one of the café's small tables writing in what appeared to be a small, leather-bound notebook. She paused, watching his elegant fingers as they dragged the pen over the page, admiring how his brow creased in concentration as he wrote. His thick, wavy brown hair fell into his face as he focused on the journal before him. His tongue poked through his teeth as if he was in deep thought, and a small smile graced his generous lips as he worked.

The knot she'd felt in her stomach when she was with him the day before began to loosen as she watched him. As much as she didn't want to interrupt, she wanted to be nearer to him, to ask him what he was writing, to have him look at her with those blue eyes the way he was looking at the journal in front of him. She continued her fond internal debate until she was unceremoniously bumped from behind by a holiday shopper too busy on their phone to even notice the intrusion. The unexpected jostle caused her to let out a yelp of surprise, which was enough for Seth to look up from his task towards the sound. Just like the magnetic attraction from the day before, his eyes immediately found hers. The low knot reformed, but this time, it was a pleasant tightness, and one she wanted him to unravel. The thoughtful smile that had been on his face turned into a welcoming grin, and he gave Angela a small wave, motioning for her to join him.

Remembering she was standing in the middle of the café, she hurried over to him. "I hope you weren't waiting long," she said as she moved to the seat across from him, paying extra attention to situating her chair rather than acknowledging her embarrassment.

"Not at all," he confirmed. "I actually arrived early to have some time to myself."

"For your writing?" she asked, nodding to the notebook between them.

Seth quickly closed it and kept a hand on its cover, almost protectively. "Yes. I don't have much freedom to do it at home, so I find that coming here helps."

"Noisy roommates?"

"Something like that."

Angela smirked. "I know the feeling," she said, considering her own roommate. Another glance over her shoulder confirmed her companion remained nowhere to be seen. Where in Hell was she?

"Are you expecting someone?" Seth asked.

She returned her attention to Seth, who studied her with a perked brow. She gave him a reassuring smile. "No. I was just wondering if anyone I knew was working today."

"And are they?"

She shrugged. "It doesn't matter." She pointed to the notebook again. "Do you want to tell me what you're writing about?"

For the first time since their paths had crossed, Seth looked taken aback and almost speechless. "I... uh..."

"It's okay," she assured him, feeling slightly guilty. "It's probably none of my business anyway."

His expression changed almost to a scowl and he paused, not looking at her but at his journal. She was again going to insist that it wasn't for her to know, but he quickly opened it and turned it towards her. "I'm just making a list," he explained, "of who I still need to buy Christmas presents for."

"Oh..." Now she really felt guilty as she looked at the list. She didn't think Christmas lists were enough to give someone pause but to Seth, it seemed personal. She glanced down the list and saw names of people she didn't know—most likely family, friends, his noisy roommate. She was going to apologize again for causing him whatever grief sharing the list created until a certain name caught her attention.

"Do you know another Angela?" she asked carefully, looking back up to him.

"No." That smile was back on his lips. "None since yesterday."

Her cheeks flushed at the admission. "You do not need to get me anything."

"I know," he said, taking the book back and closing it, this time slipping it into the pocket of his jacket. "But isn't that what the holiday spirit is all about? The season of giving and all that."

"I suppose."

He looked as if he was assessing her. "Do you have anyone to buy for?"

Angela shrugged slightly. "I generally don't exchange presents with many people."

Seth frowned. "Do you not have anyone to spend the holidays with?"

"Oh, that's not true at all. I have—" She paused. "My roommate."

"And she doesn't have anyone else to spend the holidays with?"

"Well, she has her father, but Christmas is the furthest from something they'd celebrate together."

"Ah," he said, nodding as if he understood. Angela was sure he didn't, but she was going to let him continue to think he did, which would save her from having to explain anymore.

"And I'm sure your returning home will give you a break from your noisy roommate," she offered quickly to change the subject.

"My... roommate... He's almost too much into the holiday spirit. He'd be here now if I let him be."

"You could have invited him." Though having another person was the last thing she wanted. Angela silently thanked Delilah for her unaccustomed absence.

"No. He's too much of a distraction, especially when I want to spend my time focused on you."

Angela blinked, uncertain she heard him correctly at first. The way Seth's cheeks reddened, however, told her she had heard exactly what he had said.

Clearing his throat, he stood from his chair and avoided her stunned gaze. "Maybe we should get going? I heard the temperature is going to drop tonight, and the last thing we want is to be out in the bitter cold."

Angela smiled and nodded. "Let's start crossing some of those names off your list."