Chapter 11 - Lisa Haines

Start from the beginning

I try not to disturb him from his busy schedule but today I do have a tricky patient case to attend to, and I thought who else would be better to give me the necessary insights other than him. So I picked up the file in my hand and made my way towards Liam's office.

I knocked on his door and he answered from inside, "Please come in."

A smile lit up on my face uncontrollably upon the familiar sound of his deep velvety voice, one that I admittedly dearly miss.

I pushed the door open with much anticipation, only to be reciprocated with the sight of a tall and sleek-looking lady happily chatting away with Liam as she sat against the edge of his table. Admittedly, she looked just like a goddess from just her poise and curves alone.

Who is she?!

I gasped and apologised profusely as I backed down, "Oh I'm sorry, sorry to interrupt! I didn't know you have a guest, I will come by later instead..."

"No, it's okay, we're just done, I can talk to you now," He stood up immediately and stopped me from leaving. However the lady next to him
wore an expression that shows otherwise as she whined in that sultry voice and pouty lips of hers, "Little Craigy, how could you send me off now? We haven't seen each other for so long, now that I'm here at your office, can't you just spare a little more time with me?"

Little Craigy? Seriously?!

A cold shiver shot down through my spine as I cringed at the scene before me. I knew Liam all my life and I have never given him any pet names, let alone others. Just who is she to share such intimacy with Liam?

"It's okay, there's no hurry to this, I can find you about this on another day," I retreated at her strong hint.

"Didn't I said I could talk to you now, why are you still leaving?" Liam grabbed onto my hand and pulled me back with his commanding air of presence.

I caught a glimpse of how her lips twisted in displeasure as she glared at our hands. She proceeded to slither her arms up swiftly onto Liam's arm as she leaned in and whined once again, "Little Craigy, aren't you going to introduce me to her?"

How dare she?!

I felt queasy at the idea that his muscular arm had someone else slithering up to.

Liam definitely felt uneasy as broke his arm away from her clinging arms almost immediately.

Way to go, Liam!

Then he gestured over to Lisa, "This is Dr Lisa Haines, she is also a doctor in our hospital. You didn't get to see her during your internship because she was away at Germany for a medical conference," then he continued to gesture over to me, "Lisa, this is Dr Kinsley."

I extended my handshake to Lisa and politely introduced myself, "Hi Dr Haines, I'm new here, you can call me..."

She cut me off with a plastered smile before I could even complete my introduction, "Save the formality, just call me Lisa will do."

To save myself from embarrassment, I retracted my hand after hovering it out for so long without her reciprocating my handshake.

"And you must be Claire... Am I right?" She flings her long wavy locks to one side and scanned me from top to toe as she glared warily at me.

"How... How did you know?" I stuttered a little after feeling intimidated by the very prowess of her wary eyes.

She folded her arms across her chest and explained with much impassiveness in her tone towards me, "Well, Liam and I were not only classmates back at Harvard's medical school, we were also batch mates during our internship here and so I do have an impression that he has a little sister who is always sticking around him."

Little sister? Is that what Liam thinks of me too? Am I just a sister to him?

I don't know why the rise of this thought just wrenched my heart in an inexplainable way.

"Alright, since both of you are done introducing yourself to each other, could you please make your way then?" Liam turned to Lisa and gestured her towards the door.

I gloated at Liam's wet blanket response towards Lisa. Lisa glared at Liam's cold treatment towards her and it was obvious she was clearly unhappy with it. She stormed out of the office still maintaining her poise, and this annoys me.

I take back my words, she is no goddess at all.

"Seems like someone isn't busy digging his head into work but something else instead," I went on full sarcasm tone.

He snickered and went back to his seat, ignoring my question.

I cleared my throat and leaned forward against his table as I pressed on, "You two seems pretty close and... intimate? Are you two dating?"

He looked up to me with his raised brows as he caught my eyes before I could turn away with shyness, a genuine grin spread across his face, turning it from handsome to divine, "Are you being jealous right now?"

Was I?

I felt my body flushed warm as I swallowed a lump down my throat upon the realisation of how I was presenting myself to him.

"Lisa is just being herself, you don't have to mind her and we are not an item," Liam added and I felt reassured to learn that he is not dating someone unpleasant like Lisa.

"As I was saying... This case here..." I flipped the file in my hand open as I plastered on the most composed form that I could ever put up to conceal my concern over his love life.

He breathed out heavily before taking over the file from my hand.

I heaved a sigh of relief when he let this slide off.

He read through it briefly before replying me, "Your diagnosis is actually spot on, and I believe the difficulty level of this case is still within your ability."

Then he patted on my head once again as he gave me an encouraging smile, "You don't have to consult me, you should have confidence in yourself."

The act of him patting on my head just wasn't to my liking but it was not something that I was conscious about until now. Was it because I felt like he was treating me like a little girl, his little sister?

"Hey, stop doing that," I rebutted.

"Doing what?" He asked with an incredulous look.

"Patting on my head... I'm not a little girl you know?" I pointed to my head and replied sarcastically before I stressed on my feminine maturity with my chest sticking out.

"You'll always be a little girl in my eyes," He snickered before digging his head back to work.

What does that mean? Am I not grown enough for him to think of me otherwise?