Chapter 13 Easter Egg Hunt

Start from the beginning

"What are you two up to in there?" Sam asks, sounding like he already knows.

I see Sam give him some kind of look before glancing at me and then glaring at Dev.

Dev grins.

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

Sam snaps out of it. "Yeah. Everything's fine." He grabs the two sandwiches. "Why don't I give these to Pete and Dev? You can go downstairs and read some more."

I raise an eyebrow at him and Dev, who I now notice has a dark mark on his neck. "Okay," I draw out. I head down the stairs, taking my time. I hear the door open and close again before silence. But then there's a thump.

Are Dev and Peter dating? That would make sense. You can't keep all these attractive people in the same house without at least one person dating another.

For some reason, though, I don't like it. Peter kissed me. I thought he liked me. I guess I was wrong. But then again, who could ever like me? No one has ever been interested in me before. I got my own hopes up thinking about Peter like that. I won't do that again.

I plop down on the couch and open my book again.

.~:*:~.

It's right after dinner when Orion announces that everyone is to get into the car. Confused, Jax, Lincoln, Sam, and I follow Orion into the car. Orion starts the car and starts driving around the neighborhood.

"What's going on?" Jax asks.

Orion shrugs but pulls an envelope out of his pocket. "Not sure, but Peter gave me this and told me to drive around the neighborhood for a while."

"And you just listened to him?" Sam asks and takes the envelope from Orion's hand. He opens and reads it out loud. "Let's play a game. We're doing a scavenger hunt! When you all get back, you will choose a colour. That colour corresponds with the colour eggs you will be searching for. Each egg has the next clue inside. There are ten eggs for each colour. First one to find the treasure wins! There's only one rule: no helping each other. Each person gets one hint from Dev or I. Don't come back until you get a text from Dev."

Despite the weirdness of it all, I get so excited. I love scavenger hunts. I guess I'm a nerd like that. I love puzzles. For Christmas one year, dad got me an epic book of sudoku puzzles. I finished all of them before school started back up that week. They've been a passion of mine since I could remember, so I am so excited to do this. Even my lazy feeling from earlier today is gone. I am excited for this, and, to my surprise, the others seem excited too.

"This is going to be so much fun," Jax says.

Even Lincoln seems excited with a gentle smile on his face.

"You guys are going down," Orion says.

"Not if I can help it," Jax says with a grin.

It makes me smile.

Then Orion's phone dings. He looks at it and then turns the car around.

The drive back takes no time at all, and soon we're all piling out of the car and into the garage.

Peter stands at the door to the kitchen, wearing a black cloak that drops to the floor and a hood that covers his face in shadow.

"Peter—"

"I am not Peter," Peter says in a fake deep voice.

Jax walks up the steps and stands next to the cloaked Peter. He holds his hand out, measuring the cloaked figure's height next to his own. "Yep. Definitely Peter."