𝑇𝑤𝑜

A flickering candle crackles and snaps next to you, illuminating the letter in your hands as you recall your conversation a couple of months ago.

Flash

The cabin smells like rain, and the dewy wood makes the room feel humid. You don't want to be here, but really... you have no choice.

The floorboards creak as Zeke enters through the front door, shutting it behind him and setting his bag on the counter.

Quiet footsteps signal Reiner emerging from the guest bedroom.

Zeke sighs tiredly and sits down across from you at the dining table, sprawled across the chair whereas you sit up prim and straight.

"... This has taken longer than any of us expected. Hopefully the boat arrives at dawn as promised."

"..."

The air is heavy, cold, and silent as Zeke holds a one-way conversation.

He shrugs off the lack of response and pulls out a flask, drinking heartily as a drop of water runs down his chin.

He sets it down and wipes his mouth, looking directly at you.

"... You know what your assignment is, right?"

"Yes."

"I can't have him in my way, he's too risky to be kept alive."

For a second, a needle pricks at your heart, but it fades into a dull ache.

"So... we aren't going back for Berthold?" Reiner finally speaks up, though his voice is devoid of any resolve.

"He's dead. It's a shame we can't recover the colossal Titan yet, but we'll try again at the next opportunity."

Your gaze flicks to Reiner behind you. He doesn't care about losing the colossal Titan, he just wants his friend back.

I'm sorry Reiner...

"Why do you look so glum auntie?"

You frown at Zeke, "Don't call me that."

Zeke found you many years ago and reached out with a letter detailing your relation to him.

Apparently his father, Grisha Yeager, was your older half-brother. Your father had an affair with another woman and turned her in to the police for a false crime so he could cover it up. But before your mother could be injected with spinal fluid an officer took pity on the pregnant woman and helped her escape to the walls. Then she had you in a tavern in the Krolva district.

After hearing of your true origins, you weren't sure how to feel. You were relived to not be related to that scum of a man you called father growing up, but that was really it. Now, you're involved in something you never had a single interest in.

What ever happened to living out your dreams? To studying the stars?

Levi was right... dreams are for children.

Zeke sighs and looks away, possibly hurt by your words. A small part of you feels bad, but you remember the relationship you two have. You're more like coworkers than aunt and nephew. If he really wanted to be your nephew then he wouldn't drag you into this.

All you want is to be left alone. To be independent, to live a quiet life.

But that won't be possible as long as you're tied to the Yeagers. Really, you've begun to believe the entire bloodline is cursed.

You stand and brush off your dress, walking over to the stove and taking the stew off of the heat. Your hands reach for the ladle and pour a good amount into three separate bowls.