Projects and New Friendships

Going back to school for the first time since Adrien and Marinette broke up wasn't something anyone in the class was particularly excited about. Everyone just knew the vibes were going to be off and something stupidly petty was going to go down at some point during the day. (Y/N) was especially worried, Marinette wasn't a huge fan of Luka's new love interest and Adrien only hated (Y/N) because Marinette said to. (Y/N) woke up knowing how today went was going to be a roll of the dice. Luka told (Y/N) to text him if anything happened but there's only so much their boyfriend could do since he didn't go to their school. 

"Hey, you ready?" Juleka asked as she and Rose met with (Y/N) as they got out of their car. 

(Y/N) managed a nod "I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal out of it, people break up all the time. It's not like they're gonna try and kill each other in the middle of class." 

Rose bit her lip before contributing to the conversation "I don't mean to talk bad about Marinette but she can be...a bit too obsessive. I guess everyone's just worried she's not going to have the healthiest reaction to seeing him." 

Juleka nodded, trying not to say anything mean. Juleka and the rest of Kitty Section distanced themselves from Marinette after Luka and (Y/N) started dating, so it felt mean to talk about Marinette and the breakup since it really didn't affect them "Maybe we should just keep our heads down until everything blows over, it's not our business." 

Rose nodded in agreement "It feels like she's changed so much, I'm just worried she might do something she might regret later."

(Y/N) sighed, almost not wanting to go up the stairs into school "I hope so too, we're not friends or anything but even I have a bad feeling in my stomach but we can't just not go to class." they said, taking the initiative and going the steps with Rose and Juleka quickly following. 

***

(Y/N) was right, the classroom was loud and bustling, Adrien was laughing with Nino and everyone was talking about what they did over break and fussing over homework until Marinette came in the door. Everything paused, it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop as Marinette took her seat next to Alya. Everyone expected something to happen but she just pulled out her textbook and waited for class to start. Cautiously, everyone began talking again until Mrs. Bustier started talking, (Y/N) tuned her out until the words "group project" and "assigned partners" left her mouth. She walked over and picked up her clipboard, rattling off names. 

"Oh please let me have anyone but Marinette- I will actually cry" (Y/N) thought to themselves, Juleka looked at (Y/N) wide-eyed like she was thinking the same thing. 

"Marinette, you will be with.." please anyone but me please anyone but me "Alya!" Mrs. Bustier announced, making (Y/N) visibly sink from relief, thankful they were sitting in the back row. 

"Adrien, you will be working with (Y/N)" Mrs. Bustier said, sending (Y/N) into a stress-induced whiplash. Juleka couldn't help but laugh a little bit, obviously worried for (Y/N) but the facial expression journey (Y/N) went on throughout the last minute was a sight to behold. 

"fuck fuck fuck fuck maybe it's not too late to transfer" (Y/N) muttered to themselves, quietly so only Juleka could hear. Everyone started getting up to meet with their partners and head to the library. (Y/N)'s feet felt so heavy they could barely get up, and they froze when they saw Adrien walking over to them instead. (Y/N) felt like they were walking into the lion's den. 

Adrien sat down next to (Y/N) as the classroom cleared out, Mrs. Bustier leaving the room to go the library with everyone else. It was quiet with the exception of their breathing. Adrien looked at (Y/N), who was staring at the desk and fiddling with their fingers. 

"I don't hate you or anything if that's what you're worried about," Adrien said quietly, making (Y/N) freeze. 

(Y/N) looked up at him, dropping their hands to their lap "Why would I think that?"

"You look like a deer in headlights- and I wasn't exactly nice to you since you got here. I wouldn't blame you for thinking I hated you." Adrien said, he was clearly a little uncomfortable "Plus there was the whole thing with Luka...just know I'll keep this project as painless as possible, and then we can just go back to not talking."

(Y/N) couldn't explain why but Adrien looked kind of sad, they felt a little bit bad for him. He was new to the school too, his only friends were Nino, Alya, and Marinette and now he just has Nino. "We can be friends if you want to. We don't have to just ignore each other." they said, a small smile on their face. 

"What about Luka? I imagine he isn't very fond of me." Adrien replied, his eyebrows raised 

(Y/N) sighed, "He doesn't hate you- he hates some of the things you did, yeah. But I think if you two sat down and really talked things out you'd be great friends." they said, thinking about how great Chat Noir and Viperion got along. Chat Noir was Adrien without all of the pressure to appease his father and the fake personality he had to show to keep up appearances. 

"You think so?" 

"Do you like music and are a decent person?"

"Yeah, and I'd like to think so." Adrien answered, a sheepish smile on his face. 

(Y/N) got up and grabbed their stuff with a smile "Then you'll be fine. Come on, we have a project to do."

Adrien got up and stood there shocked as (Y/N) made their way to the door, they said all of that like it was so easy to give someone a second chance. He could feel the regret build up from being so cold to them just because Marinette said he had to. (Y/N) really was just trying to live their life with genuinely good people, it's not their fault Marinette was jealous of that. Adrien decided then and there he had a lot of making up to do. 

"You coming, Agreste?" (Y/N) asked, a smile on their face as they got to the door and turned to see him standing in the back of the classroom. 

***

(A/N: Classes are kicking my ass and I'm sick but I'm bored and am running off the single bottle of water I had today. I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! ALSO, WE'RE SO CLOSE TO 100K READS WTF THANK YOU SO MUCH)