five | laughter

When Jasper first heard of his brother's attraction to a human, he was confused. He couldn't understand how or why Edward would do such a thing. He understood the attraction of her blood, but loving her? Wasn't it foolish to love someone you could kill easily? Wasn't it foolish, to love someone you could never have? He put their entire family at risk and so that is all Jasper saw at first when he saw Bella: a risk to his family's safety. He wanted her dead. He wanted to kill her, so that Edward wouldn't be forced live with the guilt of doing so.

Now, as he listens to Persephone's laugh echo around her kitchen, he thinks that Edward wasn't so foolish, after all. He thinks that if one of his family members were to try to do for him what he wanted to do for Edward, he would fight them. He would raise his hand against his own family to protect this human who he has only known for less than twenty-four hours.

Every time she speaks, it's music to his ears. He's lived on this Earth for many decades and yet he has never heard something nearly as beautiful and melodic as her laughter. It's loud and endearing and he loves the way she looks when she throws her head back with the force of it leaving her mouth. He loves the way her lips curl over her teeth in a large grin right before she releases the laugh – loves the way her eyes glint with cheerfulness and focus entirely on the one making her laugh. This human is a drug, he thinks. Not for her blood, but for her liveliness.

"Oh, God. I can't imagine!" She laughs at Alice's story yet again, attempting to catch her breath. Alice, too, is entranced by the girl's laughter and has been telling story after story to keep the girl's attention. Jasper can feel Alice's fondness and Persephone's happiness, and thinks he's never quite felt so content. He's at peace here, with the two girls. It's a similar feeling to when Alice walked into the bar when they first met – like he's subconsciously been waiting for what's occurring to happen for his entire life.

He's been waiting his entire life to be here, with Alice and Persephone, watching the two sharing laughter.

It seems Alice feels the same, too. She feels entirely at peace with Persephone. She feels happy – not the kind of happiness that she usually radiates, but the kind that is kept locked away deep in her heart for special moments with Jasper. The kind that makes her skin and eyes glow, that makes her look alive. Jasper cannot tear his eyes away from the beauties before him, but he knows he has to soon. He and Alice need to talk, and their family will be worried with them spending so long around a human.

"Alice, we have to go, darlin'," He whispers, reluctantly. Alice turns to him and nods with a small smile. She, too, is reluctant to leave Persephone.

"Wow, we got, like, no work done." Persephone points out, glancing at their unopened books. Jasper shrugs.

"We can meet again tomorrow, if that's alright?" He offers hopefully, making eye contact with the human. He enjoys the way her cheeks flush way more than he should.

"Yes, that's alright. Just come by after school."

"Alright!" Alice cannot restrain herself any longer, and hugs the human. Persephone doesn't flinch away from her cold skin, making Alice feel even more fond of her. Jasper waits patiently as Alice holds onto the girl a moment longer than normal for friends, before breaking away. He gives Persephone a soft smile and grabs both his and Alice's school bags.

"We'll see you tomorrow. Have a good night, Persephone." He says as he walks to the door. Oddly, he finds himself wanting to hug her, too, but refrains. She might be comfortable with Alice, but he doubts she would like him hugging her. He doesn't want to make her uncomfortable.

"Goodnight, Jasper. Goodnight, Alice. Drive safe." She calls as she slowly closes the door. The girl was used to living alone but, for some reason, she feels a soft pain in her chest when she turns back to her dining table and it's empty. She wishes Alice and Jasper could've stayed for longer, but shakes the thought away. They're both taken, for gods sake. They're taken by each other! She once again shakes the ridiculous thoughts from her mind, and gets ready for bed.