xiv. a view to kill

Start from the beginning

"We're waiting," Madelyn singsonged. "Let us in, and we'll talk truce."

"Wouldn't it be kind of stupid to invite you in?" Elena said.

"I thought you were already stupid." Madelyn smirked.

"Don't mind her," Kol said. "I can't kill your brother with my own two hands and Madelyn here wouldn't do anything to upset your dear friend Bonnie. Besides, we don't want to suffer the hunter's curse."

"Yes, and we also hear vervain is back in the town's water supply, so he can't compel you to kill him either," Madelyn said. "So I think it's fair to say you're semi-safe, for now."

"I'm the only one who can invite him inside," they heard Jeremy say.

"He's right, obviously," Kol said. 

They could hear footsteps behind the door before Elena opened it.

"If I let you in, my brother goes," she said. "You're not getting near him."

"Fair enough."

"You can come in," Jeremy said before retreating out the back door.

"No gold medals for bravery, I see," Kol teased. 

Him and Madelyn stepped inside the house.

"What a lovely home," Madelyn said, looking around. "Do you have any alcohol? Can't have a proper chat without it."

When Elena didn't answer Madelyn pushed past her and made her way to the kitchen, rifling through the cabinets and the fridge.

She could hear the TV start up in the living room and Kol begin to play a game. She also heard Elena come into the kitchen with her, practically feeling the uneasiness wafting off her.

"Came to show me where you keep your liquor?" Madelyn asked.

"It's in the cabinet on the left." Elena pointed to the cabinet and Madelyn took the only option: whiskey.

"Thanks," Madelyn said, pouring herself a glass.

"What happened to you?" Elena asked suddenly. "You used to be on our side, but now you're just on Kol's."

"One, your friends snapped my neck two too many times. Two, I was only on Bonnie's side. And three, I've always been on Kol's side," Madelyn said, downing her whiskey.

"Let me tell you something, Elena," Madelyn said. "If you're planning on killing Kol tonight, I will rip both yours and your brother's heart out. I don't care much for the hunter's curse so long as Kol is alive."

"I meant what I said. I want a truce," Elena said.

Madelyn narrowed her eyes. "I hope for your sake that you're telling the truth."

Madelyn refilled her whiskey before calling out for Kol to join them.

"They only have old people alcohol," she said when he walked into the kitchen.

"Well, you know how people today are," Kol said. "They have no drinking imagination. Turn of the century New Orleans now, they knew how to make a drink."

"You lived in New Orleans?" Elena asked.

"We all did till Niklaus shoved a dagger in my heart."

"Why? What did you do?"

"What makes you think I did anything? Has your alliance with my brother softened you to his horrors?"

"I don't have an alliance with Klaus," Elena said. "We had a mutual interest in finding the cure. That's all."

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐀𝐋𝐖𝐀𝐘𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 ; 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐚𝗺𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 🎉