Chapter 19: An Angry Owl

Caroline made her way down the stairs after everyone was sat at the table and already eating.

Today she had chosen the outfit she arrived in but minus the corset. This revealed that it was in fact a cropped shirt and almost knee length skirt, not a dress. This revealed her slightly toned stomach muscles to whomever chose to look.

As she opened the doors everyone turned to her and she gave an awkward laugh to which both ymbryne gave a quick laugh and everyone turned back go their food.

Caroline sat next to Alma and opposite Minerva. Once she was seated everyone began hushed conversation. Alma chanced a glance at Caroline and immediately regretted it. Minerva glanced at Alma's expression before following her line of sight and blushing herself.

Caroline glanced up at both women and smirked silently at them while both women refused to look her in the eyes. Emma and Olive both caught on and shared a quick glance and a laugh.

Once breakfast, and Minerva recieveing a fair share of questions, was over and done with all three women retired into the kitchen, each with a cup of coffee in hand.

"so Caroline, how are you adjusting to loop life in 1940?" Caroline took a sip before answering her former headmistress. "well, it's not much different. The days are structured similarly, some of the kids here have the same peculiarities as some of the ones from the school. Overall, it's pretty much the same but with different fashion."

"don't forget the pretty ymbrynes..." "Alma!" Alma laughed into her mug while Minerva stared at Caroline. "you think we're both pretty?" Caroline let out a groan while Alma glanced at her with a smirk. "yes, I think you're both pretty. Can we all get passed this?" "fine, for now."

Caroline groaned loudly before leaning against the counter while both ymbrynes chuckled at the girls flustered state.

"so, you two are a thing now. How did that happen?" Caroline laughed and Alma looked at her with suspicion. "well, last night Alma and I may have had a few too many glasses of wine as I told her about my children and bullies. One thing led to another and we had some 'late night fun'."

"I heard." Both women turned to Minerva with wide eyes. "what?" Alma's response was filled with shock. "My room really isn't that far away from Caroline's, also, you two weren't very quiet. Honestly, you were at it for almost three hours!" Alma and Caroline shared a look before staring down at their coffee with large interest.

"we must of gotten carried away or something..." "or something!? There's no other explanation. I get you were drunk but, you know what, I'm going to see what Claire and Bronwyn are playing. See you at lunch." Caroline tried to smile but the bright pink on her face made it rather difficult. "heh, bye." "yeah, bye."

One the door shut behind the older ymbryne both women turned to each other. Caroline was the first to break their rather large and uncomfortable silence. "so next time we do it, we need to be both quieter and not do it for as long."

Alma snorted into her drink and Caroline smiled goofily at her girlfriend.

"I was about to be shocked that you would even insinuate that, but I most admit that I'm rather excited for it aswell." "it's a date then?" "planning when we're having sex now are we?" "you're an ymbryne, I thought you women loved keeping order." "fine it's a date."

Before Alma could take a sip from her already raised mug Caroline bounced over and lowered the mug, Alma raised an eyebrow before receiving a quick peck on the lips and the brightest smile she'd ever seen on her pure white face. How could she be annoyed when Caroline looked at her so adorably?

"why?" "am I not allowed to kiss my gorgeous girlfriend?" Alma flushed at the word for a few moments before responding as smoothly as she could, not as smooth as she would have liked. "I was asking why you pulled away so quick." "look at that, the birds got a back bone after all." Alma playfully rolled her eyes before pulling Caroline in by the waist and pressing them back together.

"woo! Get it Miss P!" both women turned around to see an excited Olive chearing on her headmistress from the door. Alma fixed her with a glare while Caroline looked the other way with a bright pink face. "did I interrupt?" was that guilt Caroline could sense? She decided to speak up after clearing her throat.

"yes, but that doesn't matter now. What did you need dear?" "Enochs run out of hearts." Alma let out a few silent curses. "well, he can wait until tomorrow." Olive fixed her with a look that seemed to say 'you really think that he's going to last that long'.

"please excuse the intrusion, but what's the problem Alma?" "we get hearts from the present, I need to talk to Minerva about our school situation." Caroline thought for a few moments. "I could always take him, I haven't really had bonding time with Enoch." Alma rested a hand on Caroline's upper arm and Caroline immediately melted into the touch. "Are you certain, Fy nghariad?" (my love)

Caroline gave her a lobsided grin at the use of Alma's first language coming through. "I am certain, Mon bel oiseau." (my beautiful bird) "right then, go and get your coat, gloves and glasses. Olive, go and tell Enoch to meet Caroline by the front door. I need to convince Minerva to look me in eye."

Once Olive left, Alma gently turned Caroline to face her as they stood in the doorway to the kitchen. "be careful, remember what happened last time you went into the present." "Alma, my precious bird, I will be fine. In the meantime..." Caroline lent close to Alma and motioned for her lean down a bit.

Once Alma was at a level were Caroline could comfortably lean in towards her ear, she whispered words that lit Alma's entire being on fire.

After a quick kiss once Caroine was dressed and Enoch had come down from the attic, Enoch and Caroline left with a quick glace shared between the two women and Caroline winked before closing the door behind her.

Once she turned to Enoch the look he gave her had her scared half to death.