Chapter 9: A sunny morning

Alma watched as Caroline left the kitchen. She knew that Caroline wouldn't want to talk to her in such a state. She decided to go up to her room to change out of yesterday's clothes before preparing breakfast.

Once she had made her way to the third floor she passed by Emma's room, she decided to check and make Olive hadn't snuck back in. She gently knocked on the door but didn't hear any noise from inside so she entered. She wasn't surprised to see the two girls on the bed cuddling on top of the covers in their nightdresses. She smiled to herself before leaving the room.

The girls reminded her of a friend she had in school, she couldn't remember the face or name of said friend but she could remember the fun they had in school together. Just the very thought brought a smile to Alma's face and a laugh to fill the air.

Alma then walked up the Stairs to the third floor, only Alma and Caroline's rooms were on the third floor. The children's rooms were on the Second floor. Alma needed to walk past Caroline's room to get to her own. As she walked past Caroline's room, she suppressed the urge to knock on the door and see if she is okay after the event in the Kitchen.

Alma had tried to keep Caroline happy before bringing up the dream, it was the reason she had agreed to race Caroline to the kitchen.

Her plan obviously didn't work. If Caroline wasn't ready to talk to her about it then she wasn't going to push her. Making Caroline uncomfortable was in no way going to help her with getting the information out of her that she wanted to know.

Alma eventually made it to her room, she walked into her adjoined bathroom and started running a quick Shower for herself. once she was finished taking a shower and thinking about Caroline at the same time, she wrapped a towel around herself and walked into her room.

As She walked towards her wardrobe, she heard a knock on her door. "Who is it?" Alma was surprised at who responded. "It's Caroline." Alma didn't respond as she was too busy thinking. "Should I come back later?" The urge to not let Caroline walk away clouded her thinking as she responded. "No, it's fine." Alma realised her mistake too late because before she could second guess herself Caroline was stood in the doorway with wide eyes and bright blush all over her face.

Caroline tried to speak several times but failed and ended up looking like a fish, this would have made Alma laugh if it wasn't for the situation. After a few moments Caroline found her voice. "I should go, I just wanted to apologise for pushing you into the counter. Bye!" Caroline left before She could make more of a fool of herself.

Once Caroline had left Alma sighed and Sat down on her bed. "Stupid brain! stupid crush!" Alma was extremely annoyed with herself for allowing that to happen. She couldn't let herself slip again; she wouldn't allow it. She groaned before getting up to gather some clothes for herself, it would be the same as the day before but clean.

Once she was dressed, she made her way downstairs to start preparing breakfast for the children. Pancakes this morning seemed like a good idea, this way she could try and make it up to Caroline for her bad mood and less than decent show that she surely didn't want to see.

As she preparing the second half of the pancakes, she was making she could hear footsteps coming down the stairs and excited squeals at the smell of pancakes filling the air. The younger children went into the dining room to wait while Emma and Olive came into the kitchen to help.

Everything had been carried into the dining room and was being dished out when questions were being asked as to the whereabouts of Caroline.

Claire spoke up first. "Miss Peregrine?" "Yes dear?" "where's Miss Caroline?" Alma froze for a few moments. "Truthfully, I do not know. I am Sure She will be down soon enough though." Hugh joined in. "Didn't She come down with you earlier?" "How do you know that?" Hugh answered without a second thought. "Horace." Alma sighed. "Miss Caroline needed to get changed for today as she was still in her clothes from yesterday."