Chapter 16: A Night Of Discovery

Caroline stood silently while Minerva left the room leaving the two women alone.

Alma turned towards her while Caroline looked around the room. "So, are you going to tell me or not." Caroline thought for a moment before sighing. "Can we please do it tonight, that way I might be more awake and the children won't be eves dropping." "What do you mean more awake?" "I'm going to go to bed, if you don't mind."

Alma thought for a few moments. "Fine, you need it. But you are not going to escape it this time." Caroline let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Alma." "Right, well, off to bed with you then." Caroline flashed her a sad smile. "you're not my mother." "No, but you are currently living under my roof." Caroline let out a laugh. "Yes, I suppose I am."

Alma raised an eyebrow at her before Caroline walked towards the door. Before she left, she turned toward Alma. "Do you drink by any chance?" Alma seemed surprised at the question. "Yes, but only occasionally and then it's only a glass of wine or two. Why?" Caroline thought for a few moments.

"I've told Olive and Emma half of my story; I think that's its best to bring alcohol for the second. It gets a little dark." Caroline watched as Alma's look turned concerned before leaving to go to bed.

She did manage to get some sleep, minus the time she had Olive brig up her lunch and dinner. She was always careful when waking up Caroline, she really didn't feel like having Caroline's floating bedside lamp thrown at her.

She managed to sleep three and a half hours, the rest of the time her anxiety was eating her from the inside out.

Once the time arrived for Alma's arrival, she heard a knock on the door. Caroline clutched her dress tightly before telling her to come in. Caroline looked with wide eyes, Alma was wearing a different outfit and Caroline liked it very much. Her dress didn't show more than what her regular attire did but by God did it show off those curves, all of them.

Alma chuckled slightly which caught Caroline's attention. "I take it you like the dress." Caroline's cheeks flushed as she looked down. "Yes, why the change though?" Alma moved closer to Caroline before lifting her chin with the hand that wasn't currently holding a red wine bottle and two glasses.

"My regular outfit can become hot after being worn for long periods of time." "you're telling me it's hot." Alma looked at Caroline a little stunned. "You weren't supposed to hear that." Alma let out a quiet chuckle. "I gathered that my dear, now, let's hear this story of yours." Caroline gave an awkward chuckle. "If, you're sure."

Alma gave Caroline a smile before sitting on the sofa in front of the fireplace and offering her a glass of already poured wine, when did that happen? Caroline sat next to Alma before fiddling with her hands in her lap.

Caroline was thinking of ways to start the conversation whole Alma patiently sat there sipping on her wine. "Dear, are you alright?" Caroline didn't know how to answer that question, was she alright? She was hyperventilating, she was shaking, she felt like crying and her mind was beating itself up.

Rather suddenly there was a hand on her thigh and all of Caroline's negative thoughts left, she focused on the feeling before looking up and meeting Alma's eyes. "Right, for a lack of a better way to start this. I've killed multiple people." Alma's arm paused midway through its action as she stared with wide eyes at the blonde.

Alma let out a nervous laugh before continuing. "Heh, could you please elaborate?" Caroline thought for a few seconds. "Right, I was bullied when I was younger for being peculiar. Simple, right? Well, the bullying was so bad I still have a scar on my arm from it. The teachers did nothing as most of them agreed with the bullies."