"oh my– look what i found," atsumu smirked at the ratty white ribbon he pulled out of their 'memory box'.

y/n turned her head in his direction and cracked a smile at the piece of thread he was holding up. it was the ribbon that always adorned her hair throughout her years in middle school. that period of time was a weird one, her mother had just learned that hair ties cause hair loss––which y/n still wasn't too sure about––and started to use that ribbon to tie y/n's hair back out of her face. the little white ribbon became almost a signature for her and kids who didn't know her by name called her 'the girl who always wears the ribbon'. it wasn't until she started wearing her hair down in her first year of  high school that the name was pretty much forgotten.

"oh please, don't say it like you didn't like it," she scoffed, "we all know that thing was your favorite part about me."

"that's not true. i couldn't care less about that stupid thing," he turned his head in the opposite direction with an exaggerated frown.

"right, and you didn't spend half of our classes together in middle school staring at me from across the room," y/n looked up at her boyfriend after his lack of response and found the deep red color on his face to be the answer she needed. a grin quickly formed on her lips as she tried to hold in the laugh bubbling up in her chest. she obviously failed because within the next couple of seconds, the two were bursting out in laughter until tears were streaming from their eyes. it wasn't unusual to find the two in that situation, more often than not one of them would say or do something stupid that only intensified their laughing fit to the point of tears.

there were multiple moments like this one where y/n started to reflect on their relationship, not only as romantic partners but as best friends. she was glad that she had someone like atsumu in her life that loved her for who she was. a best friend who made her laugh when she was feeling down, and who congratulated her when she accomplished something she had been working so hard for. they had gone through everything together. they were each others first kiss, first boyfriend/girlfriend, first love and almost everything in between. now, laying on the couch after they calmed down, he had become her favorite version of himself. after long days of school and practice, y/n loved being able to lay with him wrapped in each other's warmth and do nothing but talk or watch whatever came on the tv.

but something about that night was different. from the moment they got comfortable, atsumu couldn't stop fidgeting and y/n could hear his heart racing from where her head laid on his chest. of course, she had a very clear idea of what was bothering him, she just couldn't find it in herself to bring it up. a sad feeling washed over her as the ending scene of the movie started and wrapped her arms a little tighter around atsumu's waist, hoping to be able to hold on just a moment longer. neither of them moved when the end credits started rolling and it wasn't until a couple minutes after that y/n moved out of his arms and sat at the edge of her bed. it had become clear what was going to happen the moment she looked at the dejected look on his face.

"y/n–" he whispered, sitting up next to her and grabbing her hand. she didn't bother to let go. they both knew that they would need the strength that came with each other's comfort.

"you don't have to say it," she sighed, "i think i know what's going to happen."

"but i think you deserve to know why," he swallowed the lump in his throat and turned to face y/n before continuing, "i don't know where life is going to take us from here on out but i do know what i want to make of it. you know that all i've ever wanted was to play professionally and the only way i know how to get there is to train hard for it. i promise, this is nothing against you but i just know that it's going to take up a lot of my time. the last thing i want is for you to feel like i'm not making time for you. and it's not fair of me to keep you worrying about me and our relationship when you have enough to worry about. i mean, you are going to university and that in itself is a lot to deal with. i love you so much and i never wanted it to end like this or to hurt you but,"

haikyuu oneshotsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें