CHAPTER SEVENTY NINE

Start from the beginning

Instead, he waited to build tension. By having Damon open the door, only to see no one standing there— as Kai had cloaked Elena by tapping her on the shoulder.

Daisy realized she must've stopped paying attention at some point, because the sound of the pipe being banged against a head made her jump.

Kai turned back around and waved, Daisy, waving back slightly, started walking up to the front porch. Elena was knocked out on the ground at his feet.

She brings her eyes up from her to meet his, "What's this have anything to do with Christmas?" Daisy asks, narrowing her eyes.

"Oh." Kai says. "It's a surprise." He says.

The confused look remained on her face. "Uh-huh." She nodded suspiciously. "Does my Christmas present include helping you carry her body to the car?"

"Yes." Kai scratched the back of his neck. "But it's worth it, I promise."

"Kai?" Daisy's voice echoed through the empty school hallways. "I brought food. And I got new clothes." She says, a hint of excitement in her voice. She walked down the locker bays, glancing into each classrooms for any sign of him. "'Cause I guess my clothes are out of style now?" She says. "Bummer because these jeans—" she adjusts the hem at the top. "are unnecessarily tight." She groans.

Daisy stops at the end of the hallway, looking around and realizing she was talking to herself. "Kai?" Daisy spoke up again.

She walked forward a few steps and looked down the next hallway. Two of the ceiling lights had fallen to the ground, causing the rest of those circuits to flicker. She got an immediate uneasy feeling in her gut- she knew something had gone wrong.

And the sound of panicked footsteps coming down the hall behind her proved that. She turned around, Elena came to a sudden stop at the sight of her, panicked look plastered across her face, before she darted into the room closest to her.

Daisy groaned, taking a sip out of the coke in her hand before heading that way. Kai came around the corner next, surprised to see Daisy.

She looked at him confusedly. "Why is your shirt all burnt up?" She says, taking another sip.

"Because she set me on fire." He responds, anger in his voice.

She tilted her head to the side. "She set you on fire?" She asked.

"Yes she set me on fire!" Kai responds, clearly frustrated by the situation. His stature changed when he caught a glance at the bag in her hand. "Did you get food?" He asked calmly.

Daisy nodded with a smile. "Mhm."

Kai returned the smile, then let out a huff as he gestured towards the door Elena just ran through. "Hold on." He spoke, before pushing open the doors, revealing a cafeteria.

Elena scrambled to hide, but Kai held his hand out towards her. In a matter of seconds, you could hear the crunch of her neck as her head twisted in the wrong direction. Daisy squirmed at the sight as Elena fell to the ground.

Kai let out a satisfied sigh, flexing his fingers. He turned back around to face Daisy. "Hi." He says.

"Hi." She responds, handing over the bag of food, though her eyes stay on Elena. "Are you ready to tell me what's going on yet?" She asks.