1.07 | TICK-TOCK ; IT'S CALANMAI

En başından başla

♚✭♛

The day of fire night-- Calanmai. The drumbeats in the entrance of the forest filled with mightly fires that unleashed itself into the night. Aadya walked away from the fires towards the estate to collect Tamlin, only to find him and Feyre in an argument.

"Just do it." Tamlin's canines began to lengthen. Feyre's heart leaped into a gallop. "Don't come out until morning."

"Are you going into battle?" Feyre whispered.

At Feyre's terrified face Aadya couldn't help but let out a breathy chuckle which caught the attention of the other two. Aadya gave a slight acknowledging nod towards Feyre before turning to the High Lord. "It's time."

Tamlin lifted a hand as if to touch Feyre's arm. But he lowered it before his fingers could graze the fabric of her tunic. "Stay in your chamber, Feyre."

"But I--"

Feyre's pleading went deaf to the other immortals in the room. Tamlin turned to Aadya with a pleading eyes which only got him an annoyed eye roll in return. "Please."

Before Feyre could protest anymore, Tamlin was gone. In desperation, the human turned towards Aadya, who was already shaking her head as she pushed Feyre towards her chamber. "Don't even think about going down there, not today."

When Feyre was completely beyond the threshold Aadya turned to leave. "Why did you come with that creature that night?" Feyre's question was merely a whisper but Aadya heard it without missing a word. She turned to look at the human standing with pleading eyes, desperate for answers.

"We all have to pay a price to keep our loved ones safe, Feyre. I am living mine, just like you."

♚✭♛

Aadya was pressed up against a handsome fae male against her in a tree when she caught the scent of human along with someone who shouldn't have been here. She pushed away from the unknown male as she stalked towards the scent. She heard him before she saw him.

"Thank you for finding her for me," his voice said to them, other two fae males, smooth and polished. "Enjoy the Rite." There was enough of bite in his last words that the faeries stiffened. Without further comment, they scuttled back to the bonfires.

Aadya was silently watching from the shadows as Feyre slipped out of his arms, before turning to thank him. Rhysand. Something like pain stirred near her heart, at the site of watching Feyre gawk at him while his eyes twinkled with amusement. Before she question herself further for answers, Aadya saw those slightly violet eyes glanced to where she was standing, that's when the main purpose creeped its way back into her head. He was not supposed to be here.

A half smile played at Rhysand's lips as he felt Aadya's fury and question reach him. "What's a mortal woman doing here on Fire night?" His voice was a lover's purr that snapped Aadya's distraction before she stepped in and answered for Feyre.

"I brought her here."

Feyre took a step back, close to Aadya in relief. Feyre took in Aadya to see she was wearing a black dress rather than a black tunic. Out of the corner of her eye she saw that man raking his eyes over Aadya, head to toe. His clothes--all black, all finely made-- matched Aadya's. As if they were a pair that has been molded from the night itself.

"You're welcome," he said to Feyre without so much as glancing at Aadya. "For saving you." Feyre bristled at his arrogance but retreated another step. She was almost pressed against Aadya, who stood ridiculously silent. The closesness between her and Aadya was not missed by Rhysand.

"Strange for a mortal to be friends with her. Or faeries," he mused, and started circling Feyre until he stood beside Aadya, shoulder to shoulder. Feyre could have sworn tendrils of star-kissed night smiled at both of them. "Aren't humans usually terrified of us?" A question for Aadya, who shrugged. "And aren't you, for that matter, supposed to keep to your side of the wall?" A question for Feyre.

Before Feyre could reply to the dark-haired man Aadya cut in. "We have somewhere else to be." Aadya completely ignored Rhysand who in return rolled his eyes at the silent dismissal. Aadya tried to pull Feyre away from him, but Feyre blurted, "So you're not a part of the Spring Court?" She questioned the stranger, accompanied by a not-so-subtle glance towards Aadya.

His eyes which were stuck on Aadya turned towards her with lethal power, but Feyre held her ground as he gave her a lazy smile. "Do I look like I'm part of the Spring Court?" The words were tinged with an arrogance that only an immortal could achieve, she thought of her second day in Spring Court where Aadya questioned her and marvelled at the similarity between both the immortals. Rhysand laughed under his breath. "No, I'm not a part of the noble Spring Court. And glad of it." He gestured to his face, where a mask might go.

Feyre knew she should have waled away, should have shut her mouth. "Why are you here, then?"

From besides the man Aadya gave her a sharp glare, with enough deadly edge that Feyre backed up a step. She really should have shut her mouth. "Because all monsters have been let out of their cages tonight, no matter what court they belong to. So I may roam wherever I wish until dawn." Then his voice turned so low for human ears as he turned to his right before whispering to Aadya, all while his smooth lips grazed the corner of her round, normal ears.

"Or maybe I have a message."

Aadya stiffened at his tone as she turned towards him to see all amusement from his face gone. Before she could question further, she saw those deep blue eyes that turned violet in star light, glanced at her lips which she then realized was merely an inch away from his own. She took an uneven breath before turning towards Feyre who was watching the scene with confusion. "We are done here."

This time Feyre didn't resist as Aadya gripped her arms to pull her away from the man who seemed to lost in thoughts, while his eyes didn't seem to stray away from Aadya, who refused to look at him. "Enjoy the rite," she said as blandly as she could as Aadya pulled her away.

"Lucien!" Aadya called out. Before Feyre could question Aadya about the man, Lucien's rough hands grabbed her by the elbow and yanked her out of the crowd.

"Have you lost your senses?" Lucien shouted above the drums. His face was ghostly pale, as he turned towards Aadya who didn't look much better. "Get here out of here!"

Aadya didn't so much as flinch or glance towards Feyre as she turned towards Lucien, "She is your problem now." Was all she said as she pulled her hood up before walking away to find her problem of the night. Rhysand.