Chapter 15: Stella

Chapter 15: Stella

The meeting started off really well. I was able to smile, nod and give a brief speech when it was announced officially that I had come to take over Oria Industries. I was afraid of the board members rejecting me instantly, as on the way over here I was thinking about what Corey, that jerk reporter had said outside earlier.

I knew that I was maybe grossly incompetent to take over such a large business empire, with almost no prior knowledge to help me to understand how to run things around here. I knew that I would face a lot of obstacles and criticism. Not only that, but I also knew that as my...father's daughter, I had more to prove.

I remember seeing huge headlines on the front pages after my father was convicted, about how the stocks of the company had plummeted to the point of almost no return. I remembered reading about how the company had to take a loan from multiple banks just to prevent filing for bankruptcy. It did not help that some people were also fired after some branches closed down to cut costs and they sued us back, with the court cases lasting months.

I glanced to my right to see Uncle Richard listening and nodding to what Mrs. Miller was talking about, one of the board members who stood at the podium on the far end of the room.

Uncle Richard and Alexander had been managing the company really well till now. Not only did they save the company from collapsing, but they also revived it to its current state, which basically rivaled what it was when it was in its peak, ten years ago.

Now it was my job to manage things.

I discreetly rolled back my shoulders to relieve the tension building up in them and tried to concentrate on what Mrs. Miller was saying. I observed the tall woman as she spoke, her soft yet informative words and her body language eliciting a positive response from the attendees. I wondered if maybe imitating her would make the people trust me and believe in me a bit more.

However, a while later, my skin became prickly as I became aware of someone drilling holes at the side of my face. I frowned as my eyes connected with Dante's, who was sitting just a few seats away on my left. He had practically turned his entire chair to stare at me.

What is his problem?

With the expression his face was sporting now, it was hard to believe that he was joking and laughing around with me and Elijah in the morning. My frown became deeper as I watched the anger grow in his eyes. It was barely tethered and unconsciously I swallowed, intimidated by him.

Did I make a mistake? It possibly couldn't have anything to do with me not reacting to his advances...right?

"...and now, we have come to the last topic on the agenda. Mr. James, if you may please." Mrs. Miller stepped aside as Elijah got up and approached the podium, making Dante finally turn away from me as she grabbed the empty seat beside him.

Shifting my attention from Dante, I was surprised how mature and professional Eli looked. It was like seeing another side to the person whom you have known all your life. I smiled softly as he brought the mic closer to his face.

"Good Afternoon. Today, I am happy to welcome my childhood best friend, Stella De'LaCourt, into the Oria family. Congratulations Stella and welcome."

I bent my head down a bit to show my acknowledgement to his words as some people clapped.

"I wish we could have had better topics to talk about on your first day here, but this issue takes priority. As you may all know, Mr. Lemmona has been with us for about six years now. During that time, we have received well over fifty complaints that he assaults his colleagues at work and uses his power to hide or intimidate the victim. We could not do anything till now as no one wanted to come forward, however we have acquired evidence which corroborates to the fact that recently he has started physically assaulting them as well."