30: Public Message

Börja om från början

"We're going to let you two get away this time. We won't hurt you, Cassandra dear, but your boyfriend, well, he's not in much luck." A faint laugh came from the speakers. I was disgusted at her sick humor.

"Just remember, next time, your silly little bodyguard playing boyfriend with you won't be enough to stop us from reaching you. We're all around you, and we know every move you're making."

"Even if you do reach me, I'll never join your sick little legion. And you can't hurt me."

Her voice gently tsked me. "Sweet little Cass, it's not your fault you've been misguided. But you'll come around, you just don't know it yet. I'll see you soon, honey." At that, a sharp noise came from the speakers, like she had just dropped her mic. Behind us, the doors swung open, the low creak creeping up on my skin. 

I turned to Kyle with a stunned expression. His face didn't give anything away, but his voice was stern as he said, "we have to go to the Office."

I was quick to agree, and we ran out of school campus and jumped into his car.

* * * * *

"She did what?" Brook yelled, and everyone else in the room seemed to be in mutual agreement. We had explained to the team what had happened, and they seemed just as shocked as we were.

"How the hell did they manage to get so close?" Mikey echoed all of our thoughts, "we positioned so many people around, and the school should have been monitored."

Theo ran his hands down his face, looking exhausted. "They must have better communication than we thought."

"Or they're just more snarky than we thought." A woman I've seen before said, pulling out her phone and comms. "All of our equipment crashed just about ten minutes before Cass and Kyle were attacked."

We all looked to Mikey, our main computer guy. He looked at a complete loss. "What? I didn't even notice we'd been hacked..." He quickly pulled out his computer, typed things intently for a few minutes, and his jaw went slack.

"I detected it now, but..." his voice faltered, "but if I hadn't known we'd been hacked and wasn't purposefully looking for it, I would never have found it. They're good. There must have been tons of people working on just the hacking portion; it's so well covered up."

All of us could feel panic and defeat, and I suddenly felt really tired. Kyle groaned loudly, and suddenly ran out of the room. We all watched him flee, and I felt at a loss. Everyone, even Kyle, were suffering like this because of me. Sure, the Shadow Legion have been their enemy for a while now, but this awkward, stuck-in-the-mud situation was brought by me.

"Don't worry about him," Brook told me gently, but I could tell she was anxious. "He just needs to blow off steam."

"Where can I find him?" I knew Brook would know where he would go in a situation like this, he must have done things like this previously.

She shook her head. "You shouldn't go after him."

I held my ground. "Where did he go?"

"He probably went to the training room or the pool."

I nodded. I ran out the way Kyle had went, and tried finding myself to the elevators that Brook had taken me a little while ago. I worried I would get lost, because I hadn't actually been around here much. Once I got onto the elevator, I punched the top floor, and let the elevator shoot me upwards. The doors opened, and I walked in. I spotted Kyle immediately, because he was the only person there. He was punching a punching bag ferociously, without boxing gloves on. His hands were red, and Kyle's breathing was heavy.