❀20

⚠️WARNING⚠️
This chapter involves death.

❝ 𝚃𝚛𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚖𝚎, 𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚕𝚒𝚗𝚐. 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎'𝚜 𝚊 𝚕𝚘𝚝 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚖𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠. ❞

- 𝖢𝖺𝗋𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖦𝗋𝖾𝗒/𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝖣𝗈𝖼𝗍𝗈𝗋

Perfection is important to The Doctor and he will not allow anything to interfere with his life's work. With his adoring patients clattering the halls, you may not hear The Doctor coming, not until it's too late.
Only then will you learn to look up to him.

◽◽◽◽

Using her chopsticks to cut the middle of the sunny side up, Anne took half and shoved it into her mouth - humming in satisfaction. "Shhuu gooooddd!~"

"How many times do I have to tell you? Eat with your mouth closed." Luke grumbled, piling noodles into his utensils and bringing them towards his mouth.

Anne stuck her tongue out at him, "meanie!" He rolled his eyes and continued chewing on his meal.

They both jumped when the door suddenly opened, revealing a sweaty doctor - he seemed to be very stressed, his breathing irregular.

"D-Dr. Carter!" Anne yelps, her face turning red as she stood up instantly to look presentable.

Luke stayed put and gave the doctor merely a glance - focusing on his food as he gulped down his soup. "Hey.."

Carter gave both of them an expression they couldn't seem to interpret as if he was scanning both of them from head to toe.

The doctor has been acting weird for the past month, always on edge, quiet, overthinking everything as if something bad was about to happen - he was usually stoic and often composed.

It didn't help that unusual murders were going around the city, it seemed mostly females has gone missing - a few men, but mostly women.

Luke was suspicious of the doctor's behavior, he finally peeked at Carter. "You okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

It took quite some time for Carter to turn his head towards him, giving Luke shivers down his spine as Anne just gave the doctor googly eyes.

"No...no, I'm fine. Just... tired is all." The doctor replied, voice kind of low and scratchy before making a beeline towards the fridge - pulling it wide open, and snatched an ice-cold bottle.

Carter began chugging it down feverishly, as the two workers gave him a look of confusion and concern.

Luke snorted, trying to ease the tension in the room that only seems to get thicker. "Woah there, the bottle ain't going nowhere, slow down."

"Hm." Carter ignored him as water started to slither down his chin. Anne could only watch in awe as if a literal god was in front of her, it only took a harsh smack against the knees from Luke to get her back to reality.

The doctor finished the entire bottle before getting another, throwing the first one in a bin as he walked out of the break room - leaving the two behind.