㉛ Our foolishness

Start from the beginning

"I killed him, thinking it was the only way to keep you safe..." His eyes welled up with tears.

"And I ruined you, turning you from an innocent to a killer. We thought we tried to save each other, but the more we did the more we annihilate one another. Can't you see? We were never soulmates, we were never a partner in crimes, we were the fucked up pair, our foolishness tricked us into thinking we can be saved by the other one."

Peter has a look that denies what I said, yet judging from the situation that we are in right, he couldn't say anything back.

"So you're just going to sit here until the fire catches us?" He asks.

"No. I have a gun." I say. "I'll put a bullet in my head before the fire catches me."

"This is all wrong," Peter cries, "You were the one who was supposed to live, you struggled to live."

"There's nothing to live for anymore.
I think I'm done with this life."

I say coldly, staring at the flames. For a moment I wonder if Peter would run through the fire to escape or not. When the police find this crime scene, everything will
be burned to shit. Peter's evidence of ever being here might not even show, he could easily get away with everything.

While the police will be confused as to what happened. And their best guess is probably that an insane cult kills each other and sets their rituals on fire. And I, would just be an unfortunate girl who was kidnapped here and died with them in the fire.

But Peter hands out his palms, taking me by surprise,

"Dance with me." He says with a sad look on his face.

"..." I look at him, a little bit confused.

"We have minutes left. I wanna spend it with you. Our last dance." He says, and he offers his hand, "I know you like to be asked properly, Miss Stark, would you care to dance with me.

And maybe because I'm trapped here with nothing else to do but waste time before I die, or maybe that Peter's eyes are so captivating to look at in my last moment. I take his hand.

He puts his arms around my waist as our hands intertwine, I lay my chin on his shoulder.

We slow dance in the middle of corpses and burning flames, to the song of the mansion collapsing down to pieces.

"I never get to say this, but I really should before we are gone..." Peter says softly, "I love you. Always have, always will. Even in death."

I look back at him for a while until he feels the need to continue,

"I understand if you can't say the same thing, that's just now how you are and capable to feel. But I just need you to know that I never regret bumping into you that day and following you, even when the part is dark."

My chest feels heavy,

"I'm sorry... I'm really sorry..." He says and looks at me with those brown eyes.

And there it is. The feeling of something finally feels strong enough to me. From feeling nothing at all, not even rage and sadness left, but after staring into his eyes. I feel it.