㉓ Lives in my mind

But if you never bleed you're never gonna grow.

   "Where are you taking me?" I ask with a smile, Barnes drove us so far away that the sun is setting at the edge of the city.

   "As I said, it's a surprise."

   I pretend to laugh. "You are being so mysterious considering you a man of law."

   "You got to fight fire with fire, honey."

   Too soon for that word. I just grin and look outside.

   And I can't help but feeling something pulling me back. Something about Peter. All I wanted was to right the wrongs of my ruins, but am I taking this too far?

   Fuck. Why am I even questioning any of this? If Peter isn't here then they'll be no thoughts about this at all. And Loki said we can't feel anything other than pleasures, but I do feel. I do feel something I can't put into words.

   The sight of the sun going down has me questioning if I could just let it all go. If maybe I let Peter have what he wants, let him fix me. But if I am not broken, I could not break things.

   And I want to break all of them to pieces.

   "We're here." Barnes park the car, I try to forget all I was thinking but it lingers.

   "Where are we?"

   As we get out, I look around to see myself in a lonely neighborhood. It almost feels like nobody is even living around here. In front of us is a garage.

   "You know, when you said I am the man of the law, we are not all like that." Barnes smirks. "Sometimes when someone we captured won't speak up on what we need to know, we take them here."

   "To...?" I ask, pretending I do not know when I am sure it is a torture ground. And what kind of fucked up mind this so-called man of law thinks I'd be happy to see a secret dirty place.

   "Basically we do things we aren't allow to get the information we need. That was back then, until a higher rank officer shuts this place down because it's immoral."

   "Who might that saint be?"

   "My friend, Steve Rogers."

   Now we're talking.

   "Good thing is, I still got the keys."  He smiles like he's going to make me the most excited ever, but I don't like this place at all.

   As soon as the door swings open...

   ...it looks just like where Loki kept me. Pale, rusty, depressing room, purposely to keep the captive scared.

   I take a step back as the hindsight of my worst memories comes back, it lives in my mind all along, just waiting for something to trigger it. My heartbeat gets so loud, I can even hear it in my head.

   Barnes just turns around to see my reaction, his excitement all disappears as soon as he sees my face.

   "Oh, shit... I just thought you'd like it. Thought it'd be cool. I'm sorry, didn't know it will scare you."