Chapter XI: Intruder Alert?

Chapter Eleven

        Clint and I quickly exchanged glances. "Isn't the Helicarrier twenty-thousand feet in the air? So how would anyone even get here?" I asked quietly, right after the commotion.

        "Looks like we're going to find out." Clint slung a quiver over his shoulder and grabbing his 'signature' bow. He threw the Training Center's door open and ran out. I followed him out and down the corridor.

        It was like I was a kid again, sneaking around the house like a spy, acting like my life was in danger if I was caught. But for all we know, if we were caught by this trespasser, our lives were most definitely in danger.

        The closer Clint and I were to the sound, the more we understood, more or less. There was more than one person, or more than one something... Definitely not just one person.

        A loud crash came from the room. I'm still surprised no one has heard anything... The whole Helicarrier should be on deck taking care of the problem, not an inexperienced person being protected by a group of superheroes, and one of those superheroes.

        Nick Fury really needs to sort out his priorities. He has me on deck. Things are bound to go wrong.

        I was crouching against the wall, Clint doing the same beside me. He had his bow still in hand, quiver resting on his back filled with arrows. Clint's eyes drifted to my hands. "...What?" I asked slowly.

        "Nothing to defend yourself with? Did you get the super soldier serum in the last twenty minutes or something?" He had an unreadable face, something I've noticed about him. I couldn't tell if he was joking.

        "Yeah, um, well, crap. Oops." I gave a small joking smile. I stood, keeping my back to the wall. "Be right back." I inched away from the wall as quickly as possible, and ran back to the small light of the Training Center. I slipped in through the opening in the door, and gazed at all the training weapons S.H.I.E.L.D. had prepared. I grabbed a practice handgun, and a case of empty shelled bullets. To do damage, but not kill. I'd never be able to kill someone, specially to have to live with the guilt.

        The thoughts of staying with 'the Avengers' and the thought of possibly having to actually kill someone continued to grow in my mind as I raced down the corridor back to Clint as fast and quietly as possible.

        My heart was beating loudly and I swear anyone could hear it. I dropped down next to Clint as soon as I saw him. "You get a look at who it is yet?" I asked, a little out of breath.

        Clint held a finger to his lips. Hushing me to be quieter. "Yeah. I think you know one of them."

        "Who?" My eyes wide in question.

        "Dressed in green and gold," Clint began, "Big golden horned helmet? Know him?"

        "Loki." I growled lowly.

        "Yeah," Clint nodded, "And he brought company. Big gamma company."

        "The Hulk? I thought Banner's an Avenger?"

        "This one's not green, or friendly," he stopped, "Well, friendlier."

        "Freaking fantastic." I held up the empty shell casings. "Bet these won't do a thing."

        Clint rolled into the open, showing himself to Loki. His Hulk-impersonator friend nowhere in sight. And revealing our little hideout. I rolled, or tried to roll, the way Clint did. I knelt next to Hawkeye, aiming my Training-Center-handgun at Loki. I didn't aim at his head or his heart- no matter how much I wanted to. I aimed on the opposite side of his heart, the left side of his chest instead.