Chapter I: 8:53 am

Chapter One

        Grabbing the cup of coffee placed before me, I ran out of the small café. I was already late. I was really late.

        My first job working with a huge news broadcasting network, and I was already screwing it up.

        Great.

        Squirming my way through hundreds of busy bodies on their way to work as well, I made it to a clearing. Clearly Times Square by the looks of it. What could be better? I was still blocks away from the Station.

        I slung my rain coat over my shoulder, took a sip of the burning caffeine in my hand, and continued my trek. I wasn't really getting paid for this job - it was more like an internship, but still. They could have fired me even then.

        I sighed and moved through more people, celebrities and all. I glanced at the small wristwatch I was wearing - 8:53 am. I sighed again, knowing it was already too late. I was almost an hour late. Pushing past more people, I continued.

        My white blonde hair started to come out of the side ponytails I had them in. That just makes my life even better. I continued to pass through more people, losing my coffee to a complete stranger. There goes four dollars, I thought to myself.

        Seriously, can my life get any worse?

        Thankfully, not at the moment. I passed by more and more streets, and finally found the large building. Cascading to a hundred floors and into the clouds, the sleek building seemed to tower over me. If by sheer will, it decided to crack and fall - I'd be dead and flattened like a pancake. Not something to lighten my mood.

        Sighing once more, I walked in the double doors. The grand lobby, decked in springtime colors, deemed grand. A crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling, modern-looking furniture circled around the room. And then the worst place- the check-in desk. I kept myself walking, aside from my will to trudge, to the front desk lady.

        She typed on her computer, not daring to notice my presence. I coughed slightly to get her attention. She looked up annoyed. "Who are you and what might your business being here be?"

        "Uh, I'm Alex. Alex Heart, I'm an intern here." I replied. "I've just started."

        The woman smiled uncaringly at me, and turned back to her computer to search me up. "Ah, here you are. You were supposed to be here an hour ago, Miss. Heart," she smiled and me with evil in her eyes. "Mr. Brown will want to see you right away."

        I nodded, sighed, and avoided the woman's eyes. "And where is Mr. Brown's office?"

        "Twelfth floor, only door on the right." The woman replied. I glanced at her and she smiled. Not kindly. The woman's smile wasn't kind, nor was it evil.

        "Uh, thanks." I said. I left towards the elevator. I pressed the 'up' button and waited. The sleek chrome sliding doors opened, and I stepped inside.

        The doors closed and I waited patiently inside. Luckily there was no one in here so I had time to think. I slide to the bottom of the elevator and rested my head in my hands. "What have you done, Alex?" I muttered. "You were just hired, now you're probably fired. Good luck finding money to pay for the apartment..."

        The elevator stopped, and I hastily stood up. I dusted of my trousers before a man in a tie stepped in. He nodded at me and I nodded at him. He had short cropped brown hair, striking green eyes, and looked friendly enough to be on television. The elevator stopped again and the man in the tie stepped out.

        I glanced at the floor meter to see which floor I was currently on; seven. Five floors to go. Five more floors until I most likely 'fired.' I leaned against the mirrored walls and sighed. How did just six weeks ago, New York City was practically in flames? A Norse god by the name of Loki had attacked. The Avengers- which included my favorite celebrity, Tony Stark- had fought back. And only six weeks later, it seemed like everything was fixed and NYC was back to normal. But it wasn't, New York City would never be the same... Not even Spiderman tried to save us. The Avengers came and rid Loki, that we know of.

        The elevator had stopped on floor twelve and I stepped out nervously. The floor was lavishly decorated, something I didn't expect for a news broadcasting network building. I walked past several offices but none of them where Browns'. I was almost about to disturb an employee and ask, but I found two large glass doors that read 'HENRY BROWN: CEO' in large, gold print letters. Inside was a man that looked of the age of forty. He had salt and peppered hair, and large rimmed glasses. I knocked softly of the glass. He looked up and waved his hand for me to come in.

        I opened the glass door and stepped forward. "And you are?" He asked in a monotone voice.

        "Uh, Alex. Alex Heart." I answered. I stood there in front of the door awkwardly.

        "Ah, yes, the intern." He replied. I scowled at the way he said 'intern.' "Yes, I believe you were supposed to be here," he checked his wristwatch, "an hour ago." I nodded nervously. "Sit." He pointed at the chair in front of his desk.

        I hurriedly walked over and sat. "Well, Miss. Heart, what are we going to do with you?" He asked. He reminded me of a principal in a school.

        "Um, not fire me?" I asked and followed it with a forced nervous laugh.

        "We're not even paying you so, can't do that." He rubbed his face and kept a hand on his forehead. "But I can give you a 'punishment.'"

        Yup, just like a principal. "And what might this 'punishment' be, Mr. Brown?"

        "Coffee runs." I sighed in relief that it wasn't something worse, "and you can't get it from the building."

        "Then where would I get the coffee?" I asked.

        "Starbucks. Or somewhere else." What? I have to make coffee runs to Starbucks and back?

        "And for how long?"

        "As long as I see fit." He replied calmly. "Now go get some orders."

        I stood and walked out of his office. I rode the elevator back to the first floor and asked if anyone wanted any caffeine.

        Was this really how I was supposed to become a news anchor or such? By taking coffee orders like a waitress?

        It better not last long.

A/N

So! What do you think of the first chapter? I know it's a little boring, but it's only the beginning! Just wait and see!

So, do you like Alex? Do you think she's a good character? I'd like to know!

Give me some feedback in the comment section below!

~Em