Chapter Twenty-Five: So What Do We Do Now?

Start from the beginning

"No way," Bishop mumbles. "In this heat?"

Everyone around us seems to be muttering the same sort of thing. Rightfully so, how can Antonio expect us to lead our horses through the roads of Darwin to reach the show? We'll look crazy.

I peek over my shoulder. Elias doesn't look so chipper anymore. I'm beaming with happiness that his plans have failed.

"Oh, toughen up a bit!" Antonio grins.

We all stop our complaints as Antonio approaches us. A smile is planted right on his face like nothing is askew. He breezes past Katy and Lily to get to Alex and I. He slings an arm around his son's shoulder. They are the same height now.

"It's going to be an adventure!"

Alex grimaces under his father's touch, less than amused. This is surely not what the son of a famous eventer thought he would be doing with his life.

"Looks like we are going for a long walk," I say with a laugh to Bishop.

He rolls his eyes. "It's final, the old man has lost it."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Fletcher's chestnut coat gleams in the sunshine as he moves through the air. He looks like a rocket ship blasting through space. It's amazing to watch.

"I'll give it to your boyfriend, he's a good rider," Bishop says, his arm linked through mine. "Which is insanely annoying."

I fake an eye roll as I laugh, trying to keep the phone steady as I continue to film Alex ride. Bishop only tells the truth, however.

Alex is the last rider in the meter thirty-five class so quite a crowd has gathered to watch him ride. People wandering if he will mess up, if his time will be quick enough or if he'll take the top spot.

The gossip that I've heard flying around the showground today has been immense. We walked into the showgrounds with nothing but our tacked up horses and the clothes on our backs. Very different to the usual parade of cars and floats we bring to each show.

Sure people have been talking about what happened to Antonio Bruno's famous entourage and why did we have to walk to the show, but that's nothing compared to the drama Elias wanted to cause.

I continue to watch as Fletcher clear another incredibly large jump perfectly, landing softly on the other side. Immediately his body jerks around to tightly spin back around the same jump to canter to the next one.

That was a turn no one else has taken so far.

"Hey, do you think he's okay?" Bishop whispers in my ear.

I drag my eyes off Alex and Fletcher. Bishop points to my left. I look over and see Elias standing meters away with the hood of his jumper pulled over his head. I see only a few white strands of hair sticking out.

"Um, not sure," I reply, going back to watching Alex.

"Should we ask him over?"

Oh please no.

"He probably is just stressed about the competition. It is a qualifying show after all."

I ignore Bishop's glances at Elias and keep my eyes on Fletcher cantering around the course. His hooves churn up the sand of the arena and when he launches himself up into the air over a jump with penguin wings, the sand goes flying.

Together, Fletcher and Alex land on the other side, the chestnut's sides coated in sweat. Alex turns his shoulders and points himself towards the final jump. It's a large oxer with colourful poles.

Fletcher turns like a motorbike and strikes up a gallop. His mane flaps while Alex pushes him towards the last jump; the final gallop in any jump off is the most important. I tense as Fletcher gallops the last stride of the jump.

Alex gives him a tap with his crop even though Fletcher would never refuse a jump. The gelding rocks back then pushes off the ground. His legs bunch up underneath him. Alex runs his hands up Fletcher's neck and hovers in his saddle. The two look like a perfect picture.

Like a shooting star stuck in the air.

But gravity can't let that happen and Fletcher reaches out his front legs so they catch him as he lands on the other side of the jump. Alex sits back upright in the saddle as Fletcher gets all four legs back on the ground.

They move at lightning-fast speed away from the jump to gallop in between the timers. And just like that their round is over.

I can't help but beam. God, I'm proud of him.

Fletcher drops back into a slow canter, his reins flapping loosely by his side while Alex pats his neck. They canter a circle before Alex brings back the tired horse to a walk, exiting the arena. People start to disappear from the sidelines, their entertainment over.

"Well, his time was faster than Elias's so he won!" Bishop cries, looking at the live results on his phone.

It's amazing Alex won but what makes it better is that he beat Elias.

Alex dismounts at the arena gate before taking Fletcher's reins and walking over to Bishop and I. Smiling, I run up to Alex and throw my arms around his neck pulling him close to me.

"Whoa, this is nice," Alex murmurs, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Yeah, it is. You won!" I cry, looking up at Alex, straightening his helmet.

He gives me a crooked smile. "Did you think I wouldn't?"

"No," I smirk, cupping Alex's face in my hands. "I knew you could do it."

Alex plants a soft kiss on my lips. I feel his smile.

"Oh!" I say pulling away from Alex.

He looks down at me sadly.

I pretend not to notice and will myself to not laugh as I outstretch a hand to Fletcher.

"You did great too Fletcher. You're the real winner," I murmur.

Fletcher presses his muzzle into my palm, his hot breath warming it. Quickly he laps up the carrot in my hand.

"Yes, of course, he is," Alex smiles, patting Fletcher's sweaty neck.

"Yes, yes well done."

Oh gosh.

Alex and I both turn around. Elias, still with the hood over his head, stands in front of us. Alex wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me into his side. He traces his thumb up and down my hip which I don't hate.

"What do you want?" Alex bites.

Elias throws his arms up in the air and shrugs. "Just to congratulate the winning man."

For a second Elias's eyes flicker over me, causing me to shrink into Alex.

"Thanks..." Alex draws out.

Elias doesn't reply. He puts his hands in his pockets then turns around to hurry away.

"Do you think he is okay?" I ask once he is a safe distance away.

Alex just furrows his features, eyes tracking Elias.

"I'll go check."

Bishop suddenly appears by my side but just as quickly he is gone again. He runs after Elias who is heading towards the food truck. I feel like calling after him, telling him Elias isn't worth it. It is sort of weird Bishop actually cares for Elias. That everyone basically does.

"Do you think he is mad about losing?" I ask Alex, looking up at him.

Alex keeps his eyes up. "Yes."

"You've beat him before while we have been travelling. He didn't act like this during those times."

Alex looks down at me finally, his eyes harsh. He looks concerned.

"Do you know why?" I murmur.

Alex sighs. "His father is coming to town."