He excused himself from the group and approached the helm of the shuttle.

After Commander Riker explained the struggle with the communications array, Data blinked twice as he ran some calculations.

"It is possible that the high concentration of atmospheric gases could be interfering with communications," Data theorised.

Although there were a number of possibilities, interference from the gases was the most likely cause of the problem. Data's positronic brain calculated a 79.2% chance that this was the reason for interference.

In total, Data theorised eighteen possible causes. However, years of studying human behaviour had taught him that in situations such as this, humans generally didn't want to review all possible scenarios.

"So, we need to resume orbit?" Riker inquired.

Data explained that the unique makeup of the moon's atmosphere included several gasses known to absorb subspace communication waves.

"Once we are free of the atmosphere, we should try again," Data advised.

----------

"Riker to Enterprise, please respond," Riker said.

Commander Riker and Worf looked at one another.

The team had completed their readings on the first moon and were back out in open space.

They had been trying to raise the Enterprise via subspace communication for over fifteen minutes without success.

Chief O'Brien ran a series of diagnostic scans and determined there were no issues with the equipment.

"It is possible the Enterprise is not in a position to receive communications," Data offered.

Riker nodded in understanding.

As the Federation flagship, it was entirely possible that the Enterprise had received a hail or orders to report elsewhere. However, it was odd that she had not radioed the team to notify them of the change in plan.

"Should we head back to the rendezvous point and wait?" Worf asked.

"Why?" Geordi questioned. "If the ship isn't there, why would we wait around when we could finish our mission here?"

Geordi had a point.

It would do them no good to sit around for another thirty hours when they could use the time to complete their mission.

Geordi was sitting on his knees in the back of the shuttle next to one of the probes. Wesley was directly across from him as they outfitted the next set of probes for deployment. The advanced sensors they had designed for this mission had a limited lifespan due to the gravitational stress. In order to maximise that time to their advantage, they were installing the probe sensor arrays right before deployment.

"She likes cargo bay rock," Wes said as he soldered the connection between the visual sensor and the probe.

Geordi was puzzled.

"Cargo bay rock?" Geordi asked

Wesley nodded.

"You haven't heard of cargo bay rock? It's all anyone is talking about!" Wesley explained.

It's official. I am getting old. Geordi mused to himself.

"It's like that heavy metal Andorian stuff but more electric lute," Wesley went on. "And it's usually played in cargo bays. Real underground, yanno?"