38. Death Eaters

When everyone returned to Hogwarts from their holidays, Tom handed out dark mark pins to 6 members of his inner circle.
From then on, they all wore their badges, as did Tom and Genevieve.
They had them on their school robes, slightly obscured from view, so that the teachers didn't pick up on them.
But every Slytherin student had seen them, and they all wanted one.
Genevieve did feel rather smug walking around school, with her silver snake pin that matched Tom's.
If someone with a badge was picked on, the rest of the group jumped to their defence, as they had each others backs. Not that anyone dared to pick on them, unless they had a death wish.

"I've got good news" Tom said one evening, when he joined Genevieve in the Room of Requirement.
She had been revising for the end of year exams, but she instantly stopped when she saw Tom approaching.
"Do you want the good news or the brilliant news first?" Asked Tom.
"I'll take either, as I just want an excuse to stop revising" admitted Genevieve.
"You really don't have a preference?" Questioned Tom.
Genevieve sighed, "Alright, I'll have the good news first".

Tom smiled and sat down at the desk, opposite Genevieve.
"I've decided what to call my followers" announced Tom.
Genevieve had stopped correcting Tom, when he called the other Slytherin's his followers, and allowed him to do as he liked.
"Go on" she encouraged.
"I was thinking about the skull on the dark mark, and trying to come up with names that symbolise killers and people who can't be die... I've decided to call my followers; Death Eaters" revealed Tom.
"Sounds dark and ominous, which I guess is what you were going for"
"You like the name?"
"I think it's a perfect name for your followers".

"I'm not sure I want to use the term just yet, I think I want to save it until we finish school next year. I don't want any teachers to hear it. I don't want anyone in the future to connect Tom Riddle to Lord Voldemort. I want people to forget about Riddle, and the persona I created for myself while at school" admitted Tom.
"I understand. I won't tell anyone about the name you've chosen" promised Genevieve.
"Thank you" replied Tom.

"So, if that was the good news, what is the excellent news?" Questioned Genevieve.
"I've finally convinced Helena Ravenclaw to tell me where she hid her mother's diadem" answered Tom proudly.
"Really?" Gasped Genevieve.
"Yes, I alone, got her to reveal the location of something she has kept hidden for hundreds of years"
"You really are amazing"
"I know. Unfortunately the diadem is not nearby, so the two of us will have to take a little trip"
"Where to?"
"Albania".

Genevieve frowned, "Albania?".
"Yes. After stealing her mother's diadem, Helena ran away to Albania. She stayed in an old castle, which is now nothing more than ruins" explained Tom.
"So, the diadem is in this castle?" Asked Genevieve.
Tom shook his head, "No, she didn't have time to hide it there. While Rowena was on her death bed she sent a baron, who was in love with Helena, to retrieve her and bring her home. Helena only had time to hide the diadem in a hollow tree, before the baron reached her. She never got to move it, because the baron accidentally killed her, before wrapping himself in chains and taking his own life to ease his guilt".

"Wait! Baron, as in the Bloody Baron?" Questioned Genevieve.
"Yes, the Slytherin ghost" answered Tom.
"The Bloody Baron murdered Rowena Ravenclaw's daughter, and then both of their ghosts returned to Hogwarts, where they've remained ever since" replied Genevieve.
"Hopefully the diadem hasn't been moved since then. Helena covered it using powerful magic, so no ordinary wizard or filthy Muggle could find it. But I'm sure I will be able to"
"So, this hollow tree is near the ruins of this castle?"
"Yes. The castle is in the middle of a forest".

"It's not going to be easy to find it" admitted Genevieve.
"No, but we have all of the summer holidays" reminded Tom.
"You're right. Since we are both 17, we can do as we like, and I won't have to return to Gellert" smiled Genevieve.
"And I'm sure the orphanage won't notice if I never go back there"
"I did promise to see Gellert at least once though, during the summer. So, as long as I go back once before September, he won't get too worried about me"
"Good"
"What will we do with all of our things while we are tracking through Albania?"
"We can leave some things here in the Room of Requirement, or the Chamber of Secrets. Or we could just leave all our belongings at one your houses throughout Europe".

"I trust you have a rough location for this castle, and we don't have to wander aimlessly around an entire country" Genevieve said hopefully.
"Don't worry, I know which forest it's in. So all we have to do, is search one large forest. And we have magic to aid us, so it shouldn't be too difficult" reassured Tom.
"Nothing is difficult with you, for you make everything easy admitted Genevieve".
Tom smiled, "I am brilliant at everything, it's true".
Genevieve lent foward and took Tom's hand, squeezing it tight, "You really are".
"And that's why you love me" replied Tom.

Genevieve blushed, "I'm looking forward to taking our first holiday together. I know it's not exactly intended to be a fun visit, but I plan on making the most of it".
"We have 6 weeks to spend at each other's sides, and this time we can use magic without needing to worry about the Ministry of Magic" admitted Tom.
"And think how powerful you'll be, with one of the founders heirlooms in your possession" replied Genevieve.
"The diadem is supposed to hold all sorts of powers. But I doubt it will once I've turned it into a Horcrux"
"You still intend on making Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem into a Horcrux"
"Yes. And once we've found it, I intend on turning it into a Horcrux straight away. Very soon I will have three Horcruxes, making me the first person in history to split my soul so many ways. And then, I will be unstoppable".