17. Reassurance

Genevieve managed to keep herself composed until she reached the great hall. Once there she began to shake, and silent tears fell down her face, as she began to realise how much danger her and Tom were in.
Dumbledore suspected that they had opened the Chamber of Secrets, and she didn't think she had successfully convinced him of their innocence.
Tom saw her across the hall and instantly noticed her distress, so he left the Slytherin table to join her.

He ushered her into an empty classroom, before placing his hands on her arms.
"What's the matter?" Asked Tom.
"Dumbledore, he knows" answered Genevieve.
"Knows what?" Questioned Tom.
"He knows that you're the heir of Slytherin and that we opened the Chamber of Secrets"
"Don't be stupid, he can't know that for sure. He probably suspects us, but that's just because he doesn't like us. He has no proof that we were behind the attack on that boy. If he did, we wouldn't be here right now".

"But he knows who I am. He knows that I'm Gellert's niece. So he thinks that my uncle has encouraged me to open the chamber" admitted Genevieve.
"Dumbledore wants to take away my greatest achievement and give it to Grindelwald?" Frowned Tom.
"I told him that my uncle had nothing to do with this and neither did I" replied Genevieve.
"What exactly did you say about me?"
"Nothing. Dumbledore is certain that I know who opened the Chamber of Secrets. So I think he suspects that you are the heir, since it can't possibly be me as I'm not from this country. Me and you are both powerful Slytherin Prefects, so it makes sense that Dumbledore would suspect us of doing something dark like this. But I didn't tell him anything about you or confirm his suspicions about me".

"If Dumbledore has no proof, then he can't tell anyone about us, so why do you seem so upset?" Questioned Tom.
"Because he knows my real identity. And he says that he'll only keep it a secret, if I give him no reason to doubt me. Next time you unleash the Basilisk, Dumbledore is bound to tell Professor Dippet about me. And then I will get thrown out of Hogwarts, and we will never see each other again" sobbed Genevieve.
Tom placed his arms around Genevieve, holding her in a tight hug.
"You're overreacting. Everything is going to be fine" reassured Tom.

"Maybe for you. You're not the one with a murderous uncle, whom the Ministry wants dead. If they learn the truth about me, they will hurt me and use me as bait to lure my uncle into a trap" admitted Genevieve.
"You're a fool if you think I'd let the Ministry of Magic harm one hair on your head" replied Tom.
"Although you are the most powerful student at this school, you are only one person. You can't stand up against the whole Ministry"
"Not yet. But one day, I will be powerful enough to take them all on, singlehandedly".

"But until that day, we have to be careful" warned Genevieve.
Tom sighed and extracted himself from Genevieve.
"You're right, I can't risk anyone becoming suspicious of us. Next time I unleash the Basilisk, I will have you in a public place, where lots of people can see you. That way, you can't possibly be accused of opening the chamber" informed Tom.
"What about you? Who's going to be your alibi?" Asked Genevieve.
"Anyone in Slytherin would lie for me if I asked them to. If all of my gang were absent one afternoon, the teachers would assume I was with them. They will be my alibi next time I attack a Mudblood. But don't worry, I don't plan on doing so until the end of the month" revealed Tom.

"It's all very risky" Genevieve said quietly.
Tom stroked Genevieve's hair, "I know. But we must take risks, when the outcome is something we desire greatly".
"I suppose" sighed Genevieve.
"This is something you want as well, right? You wish to rule over the Muggles and eliminate the Mudbloods, don't you?" Questioned Tom.
Genevieve didn't want to lie to Tom, but she couldn't risk telling him the truth either.
Deep down, she didn't want anyone to be killed because of her, even though she'd grown up around blood purists. But she did hate aurors and the Ministry of Magic, for killing her parents.
However, she wasn't sure that Muggles were as worthless as Tom and Gellert made them out to be.
Sure, Muggles were different to those with magic, but they were still people, who didn't deserve to be slaughtered.

"I will follow you anywhere, Vee. And if the annihilation of Mudbloods is something you seek, then I will help you achieve this goal, to the best of my ability. Like you, I wish to crush the Ministry, for all the trouble they've caused me. And nothing would make me happier than to rule over the world at your side" revealed Genevieve.
"I'm so glad that we are on the same page. But until we can rule over everyone, you're right, we have to keep our heads down because we cannot risk getting expelled. And I'm certainly not going to get thrown out of Hogwarts because of some no good Mudbloods" replied Tom.

"What do we do about Dumbledore then?" Quizzed Genevieve.
"We do what we've always done around him. We keep our heads down and toe the line at all times. And we make sure that the rest of the staff love us, so that Dumbledore won't be able to convince them that we are behind the attacks. Without proof, Dumbledore has nothing, and he won't get anything from us. We won't mess up, because we are too good. So, you don't need to worry. We are perfectionists, who won't be caught by the likes of Albus Dumbledore" answered Tom.

"I wish I was as brave and courageous as you" admitted Genevieve.
Tom smiled, "There can only be one of me".
"You've got a point there. I don't think there will ever be another person like you" replied Genevieve.
Tom placed his arm around Genevieve's shoulders and escourted her out of the room.
"There will only ever be one Lord Voldemort" he whispered into her ear.
"Yes. And he belongs to me" smiled Genevieve, as the pair made their way back to the hall to have some food.