Twenty Six | Welcome To My City

Start from the beginning

Dakota throws his head back on the couch, turns his head to the side and his eyes meet mine. When the parents go outside to check the car and bags he motions me over. With him being on the couch I have to bend down to hear what he is trying to whisper to me.

"Can you sit next to me? They can figure out who will be on the other side of you."

"So I am sitting in the middle?" Boy, I always sit by the window.

"I'll be in the back left seat in the third row near the window. You'll be comfortable, trust me."

"Mhmm, whatever you say. Get up, you smell good but fix your hair."

"Am I supposed to look presentable while on a road trip?"

"While in my presence, yes," I say mockingly. "I'll meet you outside. Good morning."

"Morning."

*****

Delaney is the last one out the door and I swear she has been asked nearly one hundred times if she locked the door.

"Can I drive?" Julian asks and I think everyone declines his offer.

"After we pass New Jersey," Ezra answers for everyone.

Everyone gets in their seats, Ezra is driving for the first part of the trip. Julian is next to him in the passenger seat. Anneliese, Riley, and At are in the row in front of us. Then, Dakota, me, and Delaney are in the back row.

Both Laney and At sat on the right end of their row to be able to talk to each other and watch the movie Atlas downloaded.

If I were to read or watch a movie on a road trip I would get so nauseous to the point I might puke. I tucked my phone into the pocket on the back of the seats in front of us, only taking it out when I need to update my parents.

We have been in the car for a few hours, finally out of New York. The next sixteen hours of this trip will be on the same three interstates as we go through nearly all of the East Coast states.

By the time it hits four in the afternoon, we get to Maryland. I updated my mom about three times to let her know all is well.

The car has a comforting silence, only the sound of the highway can be heard. I find it oddly soothing that I fall asleep. When I wake up it is seven pm and Dakota's arm is wrapped around my upper body. He is sleeping soundly, his pillow making it look like he is sleeping on a cloud.

Julian is behind the wheel ever since we made a stop in Virginia. This part of the trip is easy. There are no weird turns to take. All we have to do is go straight.

Dakota's head lifts and his eyes flutter open. He adjusts the pillow so it is behind his back. His hold does not loosen on me, it only makes me move closer. I hold his hand in mine and run my finger over the ring on his finger.

It caught my eye ever since the football game. Also known as the day he figured out I had diabetes.

Silver jewelry has to look the best on this boy. Every detail of his ring is gorgeous. The butterflies, number nineteen, the date, when I say everything, I mean everything.

Dakota fixes the blanket, pulling it higher on us. We are laying low enough that we can't be seen over the row in front of us. The sun is setting, it will get dark soon enough, there is nothing to suspect.

Delaney on the other hand is passed out, her face is squished against her pillow and she is curled to her side like a ball. She has a bunch of room to move, but hey, whatever makes her comfortable.

We can't talk loudly or else it will be clear we are up and awake.

The only source of light is a tiny yellow square that is right on our side. Giving us the perfect amount of light to see each other.