Two | Reunited

N Y L A D Y L A N S

Welcome to Presley.

As my dad drives through the streets I used to play in as I was a kid, everything comes back to me. I was scared I was going to forget this city. My eyes spot Reids Literature. A place D and I would always go in with his parents.

I see my old elementary school. The back playgrounds are full of all the kids who were born after I left. That is creepingly interesting to think about.

It is four in the afternoon when we arrive at my childhood home. I step out of the car, the air already feels different. No horrible humidity to make my hair look like a poof ball. The October air is crisp, giving me the feeling of Autumn right away.

My favorite tree is full of red, orange, and yellow-colored trees. Some are sparsely covering the grass, while others are floating in the wind looking for their landing spot.

"We will get your car sent here soon. In the meantime, we will figure out transportation." Dad lets me know the basics. The second quarter starts tomorrow, exactly when I am going back to school.

I throw my bag over my shoulder looking at the stairs that lead up to my home.

When I opened the door to our house I felt like looking at it from eleven-year-old me's perspective again. I take in some of the renovations. The kitchen now has white cabinets instead of brown wooden ones. I run my fingers down the granite countertops, the coldness causing goosebumps to rise on my arms.

"When did all of this happen?" I question, mainly going towards my mom. She is an interior designer. Hence, she helped furnish nearly all of the houses in my neighborhood in the past.

"Two months ago, Nyla. We got sick of Florida. This is a well-needed change. We had to move with your doctor too."

I can't disagree with her about that. Slipping my shoes off, I run up the stairs and go into my room. The walls are blank, but most of the furniture is all in place. I will get to decorating asap.

I fix my hair in the vanity mirror, just realizing how hideous I must've looked. Imagine what all those cute gas station boys must've thought when they saw me. Be right back, I am going to go cry myself to sleep.

The sound of beeping comes from the cul de sac behind my street. That sound is one I recognize fully. The school bus. Specifically the high school one.

My curiosity gets the best of me and I look out of my window. I see a group of three walking up the steep sidewalk. They are at the end of the neighborhood taking their time. Since when did they all get so tall? Screw the meetup spot, I am going to see them right now.

Usain Bolt and I need a race considering the record time it took me to get from the second floor of my house to the main one.

I bring my phone with me to act like some random girl doing a walking workout around the neighborhood. I wouldn't be immediately recognizable if I keep my head down and act like I am texting someone. Besides, they don't know how I look other than the pictures on my Instagram and facetime video.

I slip my hoodie over my head quickly so I can get off my driveway before they get to our street.

The plan is simple: act naive and bump into Delaney.

I check my hair once more to fix the few curls that frame my face then I walk out of the door.

Oh how much I missed this cold weather. Heat and humidity are finally gone, for certain, until springtime.