➵ 16 - GARRETT

••••

ASHTON'S GIRLFRIEND

••••

"Old fashioned." I tell the bartender as me and Ashton sit down

"A tom collins for me" Ashton says and then turns to me. "Earlier you said Justin took something from you, what was it?"

I didn't want to talk about this, not now, not later, not ever. I felt like shit.

The bartender hands me my drink and Aston waits for me to explain.

So I do. "The speech he said to Violet." I stir my drink and feel a terrible pain in my stomach. "It was part of a confession letter I wrote to Violet a while back."

When I heard the words come out of Justin's mouth during his confession. They sounded familiar, and I instantly remembered about my journal and the letters.

By the way Violet saw Justin during the confession- she was swayed by the way he asked her. But it wasn't his confession. It was mine. Every word and every feeling behind that letter was mine.

But she will never get the opportunity to know that. It was my confession and it stung that I could never confess that to her.

"Your confession?" Ashton looks confused but then instantly catches on "Oh, you were planning on telling her the way you felt?"

Yes. No. Yes- "No" I sigh.. "I don't know."

"You wouldn't have written it- if you didn't have hope of giving it to her." Ashton says as he drinks a bit of his drink.

Yeah, that's not true. I started a journal and all the letters about Violet because my therapist had told me to. But he doesn't need to know that- nobody does.

"It's pointless now, she's my son's girlfriend now." I look down at my drink.

That shit stung like a motherfucker to say and I couldn't do anything about it.

"Don't look so bummed, maybe we can finally move on." Ashton says then does a double take. "I mean you. You can finally move on."

"You said we," I feel my grip on my glass cup tighten "elaborate." I hoped not to hear what I was mentally assuming he meant.

"It's nothing brother." He motions to the bartender for another drink.

"Don't brother me right now Ashton." I feel my grip on my glass cup tighten. "Elaborate."

He hesitates but looks at me and I know there was no way he was going to hide anything from me. "I started developing feelings for Violet." He explains "It's wrong, you liked her fist, and besides." He shrugs "She's our student, she's off limits"