2. i'll see you again

Começar do início

my eyes began to gloss over, as i quickly stood up. i felt my throat get tighter, feeling as if i could no longer breathe. i felt like someone was strangling me and there was no escape.

"sweetie, i know this is probably going to be hard for you and if you want to-"

"no!" i exclaimed, finally i could talk. "i'm okay." i nodded. "i'm just late for school." i said with a fake smile.

"i can drive you, if you want." she suggested.

no. that wouldn't be a good idea. i needed to get out of there.

"no, it's okay i'm meeting my friend at the bus stop."

"well bye, honey." she yelled, as i shut the door behind me.

-

i stepped onto the bus. i smiled politely at the bus driver, before making my way up the steps to find a seat.

i sat myself down and placed my school bag in the seat next to me. all different reasons for this whole thing were running through my head. what had happened? was i so stupid to not notice my parents unhappy? was it my fault?

as the bus began to move, i kept my head fixated to the window. my eyes resembled glass, as tears slowly rolled down my perfectly made up cheeks.

 my eyes resembled glass, as tears slowly rolled down my perfectly made up cheeks

"hey stranger," i heard someone say standing in the aisle facing me. they had a distinct voice that i knew i recognised.

i slowly turned around and saw it was jess, the guy i met on the bus the night before.

"hey, you." i said, as the frown that was on my face automatically turned into a smile.

"can i sit?" he asked, as i nodded.

i moved my bag over onto my lap, so he had space to sit down. he wasn't wearing any uniform, just the same leather jacket as the night before.

"so." he awkwardly said. "nice uniform," he mocked looking at me.

"oh, shut up." i laughed softly shaking my head at his comment. "you know, i didn't think i'd see you again, but here we are" i smiled looking at him.

"yes, here we are and i don't even know your name." he pointed out. "your fault by the way."

"i'm sorry.". i gasped sarcastically. "my name is sabrina." i revealed.

the bus slowly came to a stop, as he stood up. "well, sabrina i'll see you around." he told me, before he walking off the bus.

"hold on, you're leaving?" i questioned, as i also stood up and followed him down the steps of the bus.

"yeah, this is my stop."

"well, shall i give you my number or something?"

"no, it's okay," he told me turning around. "you'll see me again." he nodded, before walking off.

my mouth dropped, as i watched him leave. i was shocked i was not expecting that.

i shook my head, as i walked back up to my seat. i decided to get my book out to read, but when i looked it wasn't there.

"what?" i mumbled to myself. i could've sworn i packed it, but after the morning i had i wasn't surprised if i had just forgotten it.

-

school of course was a drag, but i knew i didn't want to go home, so i headed to my favourite book store on the corner of the street.

it was like something from a movie, as soon as you stepped in you felt like you had been taken to an alternate universe where all your problems had been lifted and you didn't have to worry anymore.

the brown wooden floorboards matched the wooden shelves, with hundreds of timeless classics sitting there collecting dust. i was sure that i was one of the only people keeping it in business. i wish it got more recognition, especially for the owner, jean's sake, but at the same time i selfishly didn't, because it meant i had full reign of it.

the bell rang, as i walked through the door and jean greeted me.

"sabrina, how are you?" he smiled happily. jean was french and was quite old, but still had so much life in him. he was that comforting type, the type that reminded you of your grandpa.

"i'm alright," i sighed. "i'm looking for a book that can help just escape everything for little while." i explained to him.

"i have the perfect thing." he smiled, as he walked over to one of the shelves.

"try this." he smiled handing me the great gatsby. "it's a timeless novel and the glamor of the twenties will whisk you away." he passionately told me, using his hands to exaggerate.

"thank you." i smiled at him, before reaching in my bag to grab my money to give to him.

"no, please," he told me refusing the money. "it's a gift." he smiled.

"no, no, please let me give you the money."

i felt awful not paying him, i tried my best to give him the money.

"no, take it." he demanded.

"thank you." i smiled at him, before saying goodbye and catching the next bus to the dreaded place called home.