Chapter 26

It had been more than an hour since I had locked myself inside the washroom of Mom's house. There were four tests—pregnancy tests—on the counter and each of them came back positive. When I took the first one, I was still in doubt so I took another one but the uncertain feeling never wandered away so bought three more from the local pharmacy down the hills and I was still stuck.

I gawked at the last one for long as if one of the red lines were going to disappear from the stick but it didn't. I expected to be pregnant for more than two weeks but seeing it actually happen troubled me. I was a confirmed pregnant unmated woman who was still stuck in choosing sides.

In the past week, I didn't cross the Alpha's path for certain reasons—one of them being to stay away and reconsider my feelings and another of them being to simply protect myself from any unnecessary arguments and punishments. The last one left a bruise in my throat and it still ached sometimes.

I needed to think with a clear mind and not when I was in heat and my heat took action only when the Alpha was in close distance with me.

Mom knocked on the door and I snapped out of my thoughts. I grabbed all the tests and threw them outside the window before she caught a glimpse of any of them. I wanted to keep the pregnancy hidden as much as possible and that meant not telling anyone yet.

Opening the door, I said, "Sorry, I got caught up. Upset stomach."

"That was a while, Clara." She folded her arms across her chest and shook her head. "Did you eat something bad?"

I walked past her, hiding my emotions, and replied, "Oh, maybe. It's fine now." I picked up an apple from the fruit basket and began chewing on it while keeping my thoughts straight.

I couldn't tell her.

I had been back and forth the hills and the town. It was a calm week overall since I was still suspended from school and everything seemed to be going great. Brian was discharged a few days ago and since then, he had uttered not a single word to the Alpha or anyone else.

I hadn't even seen him at the house.

"So, how many doses are done?" I questioned.

"A thousand." Mom replied with a grimace. She was proud, everyone could tell it. Uncle Hawk and the other omegas had been working hard over the week, trying to produce as many doses of poison they could. They were going to strike but the date was undecided.

I tried staying on the outside and only answered their queries. While I had learned the recipe for the poison, I objected to making a single dose. I was really trying to become a better person overall.

I picked up no feud, strayed away from any fights, barely snooped around, and only did my own thing. I, also, avoided spilling too much to Mom about the Alpha and some of the meetings I managed to overhear. I only told her a little to protect everyone from becoming poisoned.

"Oh, wow. That's great." I said, showing no emotion.

Mom stepped forward, noticing my hesitance. "There is something going on, right?"

"No." I took a large bite of the apple to keep my mouth full from blabbering stuff. "Why?" I asked, sounding muffled.

"Someone informed me a few hours ago that the Alpha is intending on doing another search throughout the town. I wanted to hear that from you, Clara."

My heart pumped with fear. "I wasn't aware." I was surprised to hear this from Mom. I avoided hearing the last few meetings held inside the house so I had no idea this was happening.

"Really?"

"Yes." I nodded while swallowing. "I really didn't know. When is it happening?"

Mom shrugged and carried herself away. She opened one of the cabinets inside the living room and plucked out a key before returning to me. My lips parted as my gaze landed upon the key before she handed it over to me.

I held the key in my hands. It was tied to a paper that mentioned the number eight. "What is this for?" I asked, noticing that it wasn't the key to the house Mom lived in but instead something else.

"It's a key to the warehouse where everything is stored." She replied, sounding stiff. "I want you to keep it until the search is over. Tuck is underneath your bed or something."

"Mom," I shook my head. "I can't keep this." The lives of a thousand werewolves were just placed into my hand and there was no way in hell I was going to keep this key with me, especially when I slept in a room beside the Alpha's. The entire thing screamed danger in many ways and forms.

"Clara," She wrapped her hand around my wrist and folded my palm over the key. "I need you to keep it, at least until things seem less suspicious. This all could blow up if this key lands on the wrong person."

My brows furrowed and wrinkles appeared on my forehead. "What do you mean?"

"Omegas are being bribed to give out names and if one of them spills, we will all be over. This key is our destiny to freedom and if anything were to happen to me, I would want you to continue—" Laces of terror appeared at the back of her voice as she spoke to me.

"Mom, no, don't say that!" I cut her off when it began getting serious. My tone turned sharp as I continued. "Nothing's going to happen to you or me or anyone else. We will all be fine." I promised her. She and Uncle Hawk was the only family I had left.

I wasn't going to survive if anything happened to Mom.

"I know—but just in case if they come for me, you'll proceed forward with the plan. Promise me that, Clara." She held my hands tight in hers.

The sharp edges of the key poked my palm as I nodded, "I promise." I dipped in and wrapped my arms around her neck. "I love you, Mom." A few tears came spilling out when I imagined my life without her.

She let out a sigh and kissed my cheeks before moving back. "I love you too and this all is going to be over really soon."

I took the key she gave and placed it inside the back pockets of my jeans till I could return to the house and stuff it underneath the bed, away from anyone's sight. I spent a little while more with Mom and Uncle Hawk in the hills. We talked about everything except for the poison which thankfully, I didn't want to hear about so I was in relief.

After sharing a good time with my family, I headed to the town.

Only to be trapped by the Alpha who was waiting for me by the front door.

Read the full book on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr