⠀⠀⠀𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊. the weakest link

Start from the beginning

⠀⠀⠀However, California was one of the largest states with a twelve-hour drive to go from the North by Oregon down South to the border. Not everyone wanted to take such a drive, but long road trips happened often, and people ended up needing things on their travels. Using the restroom, getting something to eat, or even finding someplace to sleep for the night. So, as the need arose, more and more restaurants, gas stations, and motels popped up along the interstate.

⠀⠀⠀The Glen Capri was the next on the docket of expansion, and the plans went right on top of a halfway house run by an older woman, Morgan.

⠀⠀⠀Morgan had worked to move the location further down the road, have it go on the other side, anything that didn't land it right on top of her. However, there seemed to be no contest with the next Luxury Motel because they repealed each of her attempts to get the construction blocked.

⠀⠀⠀Morgan didn't understand it. Her home had been there for centuries. She accepted the interstate, accepted the neighboring strangers that questioned her house full of strange men and women, but now they wanted to take all of it from her.

⠀⠀⠀"There is land right next to my home!" Morgan snapped at the construction man she had forced out of his bulldozer. Morgan kept her distance, knowing if she got in his face or acted too rashly, she would find herself unable to get what she wanted. "Build your motel there!"

⠀⠀⠀"Sorry, ma'am," the man told her, but he didn't sound very concerned. Stearne, she read on his uniform, what a disgusting name. "I was told to tear down this hippie den and tell you to leave or else we'll take you with it."

⠀⠀⠀Then, he started laughing at his own words like the idea of murdering a house full of people amused him. His whole gut shook with the rumble of his excitement, and a thin sweat broke out over his skin.

⠀⠀⠀Morgan frowned, disgusted by the man in front of her.

⠀⠀⠀No, not a man, an insect. So tiny and irritating that all she had to do was flick him off and smash her boot into him.

⠀⠀⠀Morgan was close to the idea, but still, she hoped.

⠀⠀⠀"You're not destroying my home. I own this land," Morgan argued, her frown deepening even further as she kept her gaze steady on his.

⠀⠀⠀"Actually, according to state records, you don't own this land or this house," Stearne told her. He rose a thick eyebrow, and a smirk pulled at the sides of his lips as he felt like he had managed the upper hand. "There's no paperwork that you ever even bought anything here. Or you, for that matter, don't even exist, lady."

⠀⠀⠀Morgan let in a deep breath, annoyed by the man's dismissal. However, she knew he didn't have the proof to act on it.

⠀⠀⠀"Do you have the paperwork?" Morgan asked, catching the man off guard.

⠀⠀⠀"The what?" Stearne asked back, taking a second, then waved his hand at her. "I don't need no fuckin' paperwork."

⠀⠀⠀Morgan took a step forward, so they were close enough that she had to look up from his chest at him. She curled a smirk on her lips, amused now.

⠀⠀⠀"You can't bulldoze a house with people within it. You'll be sentenced or at the very least lose your job. Get me the paperwork, then I'll leave. And for now, we stay."

⠀⠀⠀Stearne let out an annoyed breath. The hamburger he had eaten for lunch now disrupting her senses. Morgan kept her face amused despite the disgusting smell and waited until he backed away.

⠀⠀⠀"Fucking hippies, man," he muttered, shaking his head, and walked back to his bulldozer. He turned on the ignition and caught Morgan's eye trailing behind him. "Don't think you've won, lady! I'll be back with that paperwork!"