⠀⠀⠀ 𝒊𝒊. the beginning of the end

Start from the beginning

⠀⠀⠀It was when all of this had started. The werewolves, the hunters, the emotional turmoil everyone suffered through. There hadn't been a break. Now, Willow was not only going to be haunted by Laurel in dreams, but in every classroom, hall, and after-school lacrosse practice, Laurel would be there.

⠀⠀⠀"I don't even want to get out of the car," Bridgette muttered, braiding plaits into her hair from the anxiety creeping into her stomach just as Willow had. "What are we supposed to do? Act like everything's normal? Like she didn't just die?"

⠀⠀⠀"No," Willow said sternly, a ton of force behind the word but stopped just after that. She had wanted to give a compelling reply, something along the lines of 'we continue to live for her.' But, unfortunately, it ended up sounding stupid when she even thought to say it aloud. So, instead, she gave up and stuttered out, "I don't—I don't really know what we're supposed to do."

⠀⠀⠀"This is stupid," Bridgette muttered, wiping a tear from her cheek and taking in a deep breath. "Do you just want to ditch... for like the rest of the school year?"

⠀⠀⠀"Ditching sounds good," Willow agreed, nodding her head like she had been waiting for Bridgette to say it. She moved her hand to the gear stick and was about to put the car into reverse when a tap on the window stopped her.

⠀⠀⠀Willow turned slowly to see Stiles leaning down, so they were eye to eye. He smiled at them, but it didn't reach his eyes. He waved to them, but he knew what was going on. Willow still tried to put the gear back and reverse out of the parking lot, even if it meant she'd run over his foot. She didn't really care, but Stiles noticed and opened her door. She cursed herself for the stupid automatic unlock on cars.

⠀⠀⠀"Come on," he called, reaching his arm in and taking hold of her, and dragged her out.

⠀⠀⠀"God, Stiles! I haven't even—" she exclaimed, choking on her seat belt.

⠀⠀⠀Stiles ducked down and exclaimed, "Sorry!" when he realized what had happened. He leaned into the car and unbuckled her seat belt for her, then proceeded to drag her out like he had intended. She stood beside him, his hand still firmly wrapped around her arm as he bent down to look at Bridgette.

⠀⠀⠀"You wanna be dragged out, too?" Stiles asked her, and Willow watched as her head seemed to immediately pop up from the other side, backpack slung over her shoulder, and a wide fake smile on her face to appease him.

⠀⠀⠀Stiles smiled back, standing to his full height beside Willow. He closed her door and moved his hand from her arm to around her shoulders. He walked with her to Bridgette, standing on the sidewalk with Willow's backpack in her hand as she waited for them. Stiles took Willow's bag from her and slung it over his shoulder.

⠀⠀⠀"I know it's hard, and I know it really sucks, and I know I can't really say the right thing," Stiles started and kept his eyes on Bridgette because he knew if he looked at Willow, she'd bite his head off in a second. "But it's going to be okay. I'm here for you guys. Scott's here, and even Lydia and Allison, too. We'll get through this. Together."

⠀⠀⠀"Thank you, Stiles," Bridgette said, looking just a fraction more relaxed than she had been a moment before.

⠀⠀⠀Willow hated to admit it, but it wasn't her words that had brought her some relief to the dreaded first day of school. It was the fact that Stiles had made sure to come and find them. He made sure they went into school because if they didn't go today—tomorrow would be even more challenging. Stiles showed he was there for them and cared enough to stick by their sides even as the whole school gossiped and talked about what had happened. (Although, Willow knew it was because he knew what had actually happened. He wouldn't fall for some stupid rumor that tried to blame the victim.)