Chapter 26 - I Will Follow You Into the Dark

Start from the beginning

I crossed my arms over my chest, "You were saying?"

His stunned silence gave me the moment to plead my case. I cleared my throat, "Like I said before, you're in my world now. The future," I took a deep breath, "I'm from the future."

"That is impossible." He scrunched his eyebrows together and tilted his head to the side, "What you are implying is time travel, and that is improbable. It cannot happen."

"It is not time travel. I suppose you could call it dimension jumping."

"Dimension jumping?"

"Fine." I insisted, "What would you call it?"

"Something this ridiculous does not merit a title."

I fought the impulse to roll my eyes, "Dimension jumping it is."

He narrowed his eyes, "That would imply that we are in another dimension."

"What if we are?"

He stayed silent as he looked around, his eyes scanning the room. Above the couch, I had arranged a gallery wall of paintings and sketches. All of them were reproductions I had procured from the local home décor store. In comparison to Pemberley, my home was a tiny hovel. Feeling embarrassed, I walked towards the kitchen and asked, "Do you want some coffee? It'll only take a minute or two."

"You can make it that fast?"

"Ah!" I smiled, "The wonders of modern conveniences!"

Once the coffee was done brewing, I poured two cups and walked back to the living room. I handed him his cup and said, "We need to talk."

He sat down on the couch and asked, "What is happening?"

I sat down, angling my body towards him, "What happened is impossible in my world as well. But, it has happened, and we have to accept it."

"How?"

"That's the thing," I answered sheepishly, "I-I don't know."

"This cannot be real." He shook his head, "How do I even know you are real?"

"I promise you," I took hold of his hand, bringing it to my cheek; "I am real."

Swallowing, he kept his hand on my cheek and for a moment, I believed I had been forgiven. The moment, however, was fleeting as he flinched his hand away. The pain in my chest tore at me. I wanted to shrivel up into nothingness. I looked away, focusing on the dark television screen.

He whispered, his voice trembling, "I would have married you."

I sighed, "I know."

He went on, "I would have married you in an instant. The pain of being lied to is acute."

"I never lied."

"What do you make of this?" His eyes bore into mine, "This circumstance is the result of falsehoods."

"I never lied to you," I repeated.

"Were you going to stand by and let me marry you?" He snapped, "Our union would have been founded on lies."

"For the last time, I never lied to you!" I fumed, "I simply withheld information, and that was killing me!" I clenched my teeth, "Do you think I was enjoying not telling you? It was torture!" Balling my fists, I retorted "You don't understand what it's like being in love with you!"

"And you do not realize what it is like being in love with you," he shot back.

Recoiling, I was unable to speak. His words stung. I could not fault him. His existence had been trifled with, and all I could do was tell him he was in my world now. I was surprised he had not fled the room. Instead, he remained as calm as he could considering he had been sucked into a mirror. I credited it to his preparation at Pemberley; grooming him for life as an aristocrat.