Angel One: Part Two

Start from the beginning

Deanna eyed Ramsey suspiciously. She could sense no feelings of relief or enthusiasm.

In fact, all of the expected feelings associated with rescue were absent.

All Deanna could pick up on was an overwhelming mix of suspicion, resentment, and fear.

The Counsellor decided it would be best to confront the discrepancy directly.

"Seven years on an alien planet and I sense no anticipation," she commented. "No excitement about being rescued."

"What is it that you think you're rescuing me from?" Ramsey asked incredulously. "My shipmates and I have been here nearly a decade. We have families and children. This is our home."

Ramsey scratched the back of his head and took a swig from a mug of homebrewed ale.

He stepped over to a table and grabbed a series of wooden mugs.

Tapping into a rudimentary keg, he poured them each a glass and passed them around.

Data sniffed the liquid a few times before bringing the cup to his lips to take a taste.

It was harsher than most of the liquids he'd tried aboard the Enterprise, but not entirely unpleasant.

It had a full, smoky quality with hints of oak casking.

Ramsey explained that the crew of the Odin had spent months drifting until they had reached Angel One. Upon their arrival, the planet had seemed like an Eden. The men were happy to work to earn their keep and eager to assimilate to the culture.

However, it had soon become apparent that they were being treated as if they had no rights. They weren't permitted to choose their own careers or partners. They were denied the ability to earn income and found themselves at the mercy of the council.

The men had gotten involved in a movement known as the Angel One Equality Movement. It was a group that had existed long before the arrival of the Odin survivors. However, it had never managed to get much traction in such an entrenched society.

Ramsey hadn't sought a leadership role.

Yet because of his experience as someone who had grown up free of Angel One's culture, he had quickly become a leading voice for change.

But after the Great Crackdown, they had been forced to flee to the wilderness. Angel One's orbital position left few hours of daylight. Farming was difficult and the winters were long. The harsh conditions meant that life was a daily struggle.

"None of which is your concern any longer, Mister Ramsey," Tasha assured him. "Call in the others, please. It's time to leave."

Ramsey looked aghast.

"Lieutenant, we're not going anywhere," Ramsey stated. "This is our home. And as tough as life is here, we intend to fight for it. We have a responsibility to fight to make it better."

His words hit Tasha particularly hard.

There had been a time where Tasha had felt the same way about Turkana.

"We can resettle you and your families on a Federation colony of your choosing where life won't be a struggle," Tasha promised. "I know it's hard to leave your home behind, but on a Federation colony you and your children can find a better life."

Ramsey shot her a look.

"No offense, Lieutenant," Ramsey scoffed. "But you don't have a clue what it's like to be in a place like this and know you can make it better. You could never understand the obligation we feel to fight for our home. For our children."