Chapter 12

".......time is luck.

So don't waste it living someone else's life, make yours count for something. Fight for what matters to you, no matter what.

Because even if you fall short, what better way is there to live?"

~Gwen Stacy
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

~Gwen StacyThe Amazing Spider-Man 2

.

................................................................

"Ab ayse kya dekh rhy ho?? Bolo kuch..." Madiha shook Daniyal's shoulder bringing him out of his thoughts and he blinked twice before meeting her eyes.

(Now what are you looking at?? Say something..)

They sat cross-legged upon the rug laid at the foot of her bed, still in their dressed up state. After Daniyal had seen the letter, there was no way Madiha could make him leave nor could she continue hiding and playing aloof.

It wasn't that she had any qualms about telling him, actually, he was the first person she thought of the moment she heard the news. It was herself that was not ready to accept it. Acceptance would lead to yearning, and she was in no position to desire such things.

Her incisors dug into her lower lip as she stared at Daniyal's blank face, her stomach flipping nervously. His eyes shifted from Madiha's face to the letter of acceptance he held in his hand while she waited impatiently for his response.

"I don't know what to say.... I...... how could you keep this from me--" he repeated still a bit rattled and Madiha sighed exasperatedly.

"Babblu abhi toh bataya yarrr! I just got it yesterday and birthday surprise wageira ke scene main busy thi toh nhi bata payi! I was going to tell you--"

(Babblu I just told you yarr! I got it yesterday and with all the Birthday surprise, I couldn't find the time! I was going to tell you--)

"Kab?" He interrupted, eyebrows frowning hard, hazel eyes pinning her with a sharp accusing look.

(When?)

Madiha lowered her eyes to her hands that lay in her lap and licked her lips once before sucking in a deep breath. He was one stubborn person to deal with, she knew and Daniyal was not one you could pacify with lame excuses. It's either a good enough reason or stark betrayal.

"When did you apply?"

Her shoulders fell relieved at his question and she rubbed her hands together before answering. "Before semester exams. Humari University ki career counsellor ne bulaya tha mujhe, mere last semester ka result achaa tha and she wanted to know my further plans.....I said maybe LL.M karun, if Mama Baba agree... She was talking to me about good opportunities and stuff, unhon ne poocha keh foreign universities main apply karne ka socha hai? Of course, I said no straight but she was so insistent keh if I try mera ho jaye gaa..." Madiha paused and pursed her lips while Daniyal kept re-reading the letter in his hand.