Chapter 16

Gon, Tanjiro, and Zenitsu set off just after 9:00. Gon was tossing his knife and catching it, twirling and spinning it effortlessly as he was bounding through the trees. "How- the- hell are you- doing that- so easily?" Zenitsu said, between huffs. Gon beamed, twirling and running backwards while spinning his Nichirin knife between his fingers and keeping up with Tanjiro's fast pace. "En, practice, and a very strict trainer for about a year" He said matter-of-factly. Tanjiro never stopped being impressed with the little things, as shown by his slightly fascinated expression. Gon sensed a tree directly behind him and stopped twirling his knife for a moment to leap backwards and swing off a branch, before landing on his hands and bouncing up to run again facing forward. "Now he's just showing off" Zenitsu muttered. Gon giggled, "Not really, It's just fun!"

During the rest, Gon practiced his Ren. After, they started moving again. Gon spun his dagger some more, tossing and doing more tricks as the pace slowed. It was 10:56, they were early. The other two started moving silently, Gon activated Zetsu as well as they approached the town. Then, Gon froze. That was- "Gon?" Tanjiro whispered. He gripped his knife, eyes sparkling. "I caught Killua's scent. It was only for a moment, he must be using Zetsu." His heart pounded, body tense. For what reason is he in this village? I'll find out soon! Both Tanjiro and Zenitsu glanced at each other, expressions unreadable. Gon wrote it off almost instantly, about to bolt into the town when Tanjiro placed a hand on his shoulder. "Gon, keep going as we were."

He pouted. "But I wanna-" He shushed him, and Gon saw a sparkle of something other than worry on his face. It was hard to describe, but he knew something. "What is it? You know something" He whispered. Tanjiro looked away. "You'll...see" Gon frowned slightly. What isn't he telling me? It just makes me want to know more. But he nodded, then silently walked with him and Zenitsu into the town. The scent of blood filled his nose, both Zenitsu and Tanjiro looked tense. They heard the sound of what was most definitely a creature eating something, Gon gripped his knife and peeked around the corner they had found a few meters away. He froze. The demon was crouched over a woman, tearing into one of her arms with its teeth. The demon had a long flowing white tail, 2 pairs of cat ears, and curly white hair. The demon, was Killua.

Gon was yanked back behind the cover by Tanjiro, almost instantly he noticed how Zenitsu wasn't there. "Y-You...knew. That's what you wouldn't tell me" Gon said, voice threaded with emotion. Tanjiro sighed quietly. "I'm sorry Gon, but it's not him anymore" he couldn't accept this. He'd waited for a whole damn year only to reunite with his best friend like this. N-no. He forced his tears back, trying to keep a cool head. Then, he thought about the ants. Some of them regained memories. Some of them switched sides. Tanjiro's hand tightened on his shoulder. "Gon no, you can't. I promise we're working on something that can revert demons back into humans but-" Suddenly, Tanjiro cut off. He glanced over his shoulder to see him looking over the cover, his eyes widened with horror. Gon followed his gaze, which landed on Killua's eyes.

Gon was confused, what were those strange markings? More importantly, why did Tanjiro look so terrified? He pulled Gon back down under the cover with him, muttering to himself. "it shouldn't be possible." Gon grabbed his arm. "What is it? What's wrong with his eyes?" Tanjiro looked him in the eye. "He's one of the 12 Kizuki. An upper moon. Upper moon 1. Second only to Muzan Kibutsuji himself" Gon's eyes widened, he remembered that name. Killua's right below the king of demons? I thought...those ranks hadn't changed for hundreds of years? An answer came to his mind, an explanation as to how that was possible. He does remember something. If he didn't, it wouldn't be possible. He started to move when Tanjiro hissed. "If he was just a normal demon I'd let you at least try to talk to him. But upper 1? We're screwed. This is something not even a hashira can take care of on their own"