"Kayo..., "

"Kayode?" My mum called out without letting me finish my statement. You needed to see the look of disgust she gave me.

"Honey?" My mum called out to my Dad.

I knew what she wanted to say, this wasn't the first time she warned me in such cases. But I couldn't just throw away a friendship I have had for eight years, I and Tope have been friends ever since we were kids, and my parents asking me to stop talking to her was very difficult. I thought they were going to change their mind since Tope's Dad was trying to get back on his feet again.

"Onome, the high class relates with the high class. Tope's family has lost whatever they had, we can't keep relating with their family. You only relate with people who would take you higher." My Dad said. I was already used to hearing this. That I almost hummed with him whenever he said it.

"The poor are meant to serve you. They are meant to be your slaves, not your equals, always have that at the back of your mind." My Mum contributed.

I didn't respond anymore, I had nothing to say, I knew it was over, my friendship with Tope.

My family never related with the low class, not just that, we didn't just relate with just any rich person. My parents were more of the old money. There were classes of people we did relate with.

Suddenly I remembered, I was almost late for school, I stood up. Picked up my lip gloss from the table.

"Take care baby," Mummy hummed, meanwhile I gave her a gentle nod, turned to my Daddy, who seemed engrossed in his meal.

"Honey." My mum called out to my Dad, helped me get his attention.

For once, I thought, they were about to ask about my health.

"I already transferred it to your account." My Dad who knew what I wanted answered.

Oh

I realized no one, wanted to talk about it.

"Thanks, Dad. Bye!" With that, I hurried out. With one place on mind, school.

____________________🖊️

Immediately my driver drove into Brixford college, I pulled my bag pack closer, pulled my sunshades. It wasn't allowed in school. But who cared. I did bend the school rules because I knew who the biggest sponsors of the school were.

My Dad was one. No teacher dared to get in my way. Reporting to the principal was just a waste of time, they needed my Dads funding after all. Mummy always said : I could bend over anyone I wanted. No one had any control over me, that I always did have an upper hand, even though I didn't, I could always get whatever I wanted, I only needed the right tactics.

"I would also beg you before you open the door. Mr Tunde." I snapped out rudely. It was obvious I took the driver unawares.

"Sorry, Ma!" He apologized, struggling with the seat belt. With the way he panicked, I saw no use responding to him anymore, I had already made an impact as mummy would always say, if they don't respect you, make them.

I gave him a look when he finally opened the door, and stepped down.

I could feel a cool breeze overwhelm my face.

Furthermore, I was back to school.

Back to the usual drama.

Immediately I stepped out, he shut the door behind me, and turned to my direction. I gave him my usual nonchalant look, before looking around. There wasn't any much difference, everything, and everyone still looked the same. Nothing fancy caught my attention.