CHAPTER 35 ↠ reconciliation and second-guessing

Beginne am Anfang

"Well, unlike you, he listens to me and doesn't dismiss my concerns."

"And what concerns could you possibly mention to Bradley when you should just be painting his portrait?"

"Oh, I don't know... maybe you deciding to go to a illegal pub or bar or whatever Americans call it, and then being angry at me for wanting you to do, instead, something perfectly legal, as we have done so far."

"Jesus Christ." Michael rubs his face. "Look, I'm sorry Beatrice," he starts, approaching her.

Bea remained seated as she put on the second earring and started picking the necklace.

"Beatrice, listen to me," Michael says calmly.

But when she ignored him, Michael got in between her and the table, held her arms and made her stand up, so they were on the same level. Bea looked away from Michael, so he moved his hands to her cheeks and made her look at him.

She pouted as she was forced to look at him but didn't force him to let go of her, since he wasn't hurting her either.

"I'm sorry that I didn't listen to you straight away. But in the end I did take your advice and I only even left the hotel just to tell Gina, since I couldn't reach her by telephone."

"That's great, but right now I need to get ready."

Michael showed her a small smile and then dropped his hands, but remained standing in front of her.

"Can I accompany you to dinner?"

"No. Jack Bradley is expecting it to be just him and I."

"And why would it have to be only you two? Is he expecting something else, too?"

Bea hits his arm, not as hard as she could but not softly either. "Who do you take me for, Michael Gray?"

"Then he wouldn't mind if I went with you."

"You don't even like him," Bea reminds with a smile.

"But I like you. And I don't want you alone with him."

"Perhaps another time, Michael. Tonight you should sleep, since you were so concerned for me and were looking all around for me."

"Fine, go on your own with him. But don't come back too late. We have extra work to do tomorrow, since today nothing was done."

"Yes, sir. By the way..." Bea starts as Michael steps away from her and walks towards his bedroom. "Does this necklace look good with my dress?" she asks as she puts the one in her hands against her neckline.

"You don't need any necklace. Just go as you are," Michael said with a kind smile before slipping into his bedroom.

Bea put all the necklaces back into place, put on some shoes and then left the room. She sat on a couch in the lobby as she waited for Jack and soon enough he showed up. She heard him speaking to one of the receptionists and turned to see him. As she moved, his gaze fell upon her and he told the hotel worker that he no longer needed anything.

"Bea! You look lovely."

"Thank you, Jack Bradley. Shall we go?"