Chapter 32

Jax glanced at Lillian once every few minutes as he waited for her at his table. Lillian did the same while she attended to the customers wondering how long he was going to sit there and wait for her. She expected him to tell her where to meet him when she got off work but it seemed he was waiting for her and that made her soften.

"Here you go." Mindy handed Lillian a bag.

Lillian hung her apron on the rack in the kitchen,
"What's that?"

"Your lunch."

"But I always have my lunch here."

"I don't think you should keep him waiting any longer."

Lillian glanced at Hank who nodded.
"Thanks."

"Welcome." Mindy said, "Now go talk it out, you both have been brooding all day."

"I haven't been brooding," Lillian said as she walked out of the kitchen,

"If you think so," Mindy said before she was out of earshot.

Lillian had her gaze on Jax as she walked towards his table.
"Hey." She said as she stopped beside his table,

Jax turned to Lillian and was up before he could stop himself,
"Ready?"

Never.
Lillian thought.

"Let's go."

They both walked out of Mindy's with Mindy and Hank staring after them along with a few residents.

Lillian and Jax arrived at the parking lot where both of their cars were parked.

"I'll follow you in my car." Lillian said,

"Alright." Jax said and watched her turn and head towards her car.

He did the same and pulled out of the parking lot and into the empty road. Lillian did the same and followed Jax who was headed towards his place, or hers, she wasn't certain yet.

Lillian's heart was acting weird and she had no idea how she could get it to just take a break or better yet stop. She hadn't breathed well since Jax walked into the diner and sat there throughout her shift. Now, she got a chance to inhale deeply and exhale long and hard.

A few minutes later, Lillian pulled up her car at Jax's place, behind his truck. Jax was out of his truck while he waited for her to come out.

Lillian shut her car door and walked towards him just as Otto found his way to her and tagged along with her.

"I thought the ocean air could do us some good." Jax said as she approached him.

Lillian nodded, thinking that was exactly what she needed.

"After you," Jax said after he opened the door.

Lillian walked inside right after Otto did. Soon, they were walking side by side along the beach, barefoot, with Otto off on his own right in front of them.

"You're really mad at me." Jax said a moment after he'd turned to gauge her mood.

"I'm..." Lillian stopped, swallowed back her words, and let out a breath, in that specific order and then came up with a new way of saying what she was feeling without sounding entitled to feeling the way she was.

"I don't what I am." She said because she had no idea what to say.

"Lily, c'mon." Jax stopped walking and turned to her, "You got to give me something to work with."

Lillian sighed and stopped walking a few steps after he did, and turned to look at him.
"I don't know what you want me to say."

"I just want to know the truth." Jax said, "I know I messed up, and you have every right to be mad but we can't leave it at that."