Chapter 51. Ride With Me

Dutch and Arthur spent most of the next day out on a job and didn't return until the evening. Dutch approached Charles as soon as he arrived, and told him about Eagle Flies going missing. Charles was furious and immediately began trying to find out what had happened to him. Arthur believed that he was either captured or dead, and you desperately hoped it was the former.

He was damp, yet again, as he made his way in. You poured out two cups of coffee and made your way to his tent.

"Swimming again?" you asked as you stood in the entrance.

He smirked tiredly, "yes well, Arthur and I had to make a quick escape."

"What happened?" you handed him his coffee and leant against his table.

"The army chased us off a cliff," he looked exhausted as he tried to dry his hair off.

"A cliff?! The army?!"

"We only wanted to give them a scare, but they shot first so we had to defend ourselves," he excused.

He seemed to be giving you only small specifics about the event. "Since when were we involved in the army?" you asked.

"Since the army got involved with the Natives, stole their horses, blocked their medications, tried to get the oil that's on their land..." he trailed off.

"That's awful. And Eagle Flies? What'll happen to him?" you asked.

"Charles, and I imagine Arthur since he seems to enjoy being the hero these days, will see that he's okay." Hearing him speak about Arthur like that was very bizarre, it's almost like he was jealous.

"And then we're leaving?"

"Well, not quite yet. We just need a little bit more smoke, a little bit more money, and we're out of here," he sat back on his bed, "we're close now, I can feel it."

"And that smoke... you're going to create it how?" you asked hesitantly.

"Civilisation is closing in on all of us. Eagle Flies is angry, I think if we help them out with their war that should be just enough for us to leave unnoticed," he sounded very sure of this plan.

"Dutch, they can't handle another war. Surely it's not a good idea to lead them into -"

"You had no problem when Evelyn Miller was getting involved in their business," he leant forward. "If I remember right, you said 'it's a shame more people don't care the way you do.'"

You furrowed your brow and shifted in your spot. "That's true, it is a shame. But Dutch I'm just not sure that'll help them, that's all."

Dutch sighed slightly. "I know what I'm doing, just trust me. Perhaps you're getting twitchy at not being able to come out and help us." He paused as though in deep thought.

You walked over and sat by him, "of course I want to help, in any way that I can."

"Well, I have been speaking to Micah and we need some more guns," he put his hand on your back, "you seem to be more than capable, will you ride with us when we need you to?"

"Sure, I will."

"Good. I know you can handle yourself well enough," he moved his arm around you and pulled you into him. You rested your head on his shoulder, as you ran your fingers over the gold chains attached to his waistcoat.

"You smell like a wet dog," you mumbled.

Dutch laughed, "you are a wicked woman."

You laughed through your nose as you sat up straight.