nineteen

He wants to ask so many things, but he does not know where to begin. Instead he stares at her, his eyes boring holes into her frame. She sips her coffee for strength. Strength to lie.

"I got a job teaching," she says. Not lies. Facts. "In Sonyeo."

"You graduated? Congratulations."

She smiles. "It was unexpected. I thought I wouldn't get it." Not so much of a lie.

"Congratulations on that too," he says. His voice is calm, composed. When had Chae Young known him to be otherwise anyway.

"How- how are you?"

"I'm good," he sighs. "I'm good, Chaengie."

She doesn't know what to make of that sigh. She doesn't know what to make of him calling her 'Chaengie'. She's not sure she can suddenly call him 'tokki'.

There's a soft smile in his eyes as he takes her face in. "You look healthy," he says.

She smiles. He sounded like he meant it.

"You go here, don't you?" she says, nodding at the back wall- the direction of the University. Lies. She knows he goes there.

"Yes."

"How is it?"

"I like it. Not very pretentious."

She nods. It is such a Jung Kook thing to say.

"What are you doing in this area?" he asks.

Her heart beats like crazy. She looks down, avoiding his eyes. "I have an appointment nearby."

"Am I keeping you?"

"No, I still have time." She looks up at him. "Stay. A while?" Not a lie.

He smiles. "Of course."

Butterflies beat their wings in her stomach. She wants to reach out and grab his hand.

"How long are you here?" There is a feigned casualness in his voice. She senses it. It makes her happy.

"Till September."

"Oh..." He doesn't look as happy as she thought he would. Perhaps he had hoped she would say forever.

She looks at him biting her lips. She wishes she could say Come with me.

He shifts his eyes self-consciously. "I'm really happy to see you." He sounds genuine but doesn't say further. Neither of them can figure out the other at the moment. It makes Chae Young want to scream.

He glances at his wristwatch.

"Am I keeping you?" It is her turn to ask.

"No..." he answers, then adds, "I mean it's nothing urgent. I'm just meeting up with some friends."

Chae Young remembers the long-legged-girl and she knows she can't meet his friends.

"Stay a while?" It is his turn to ask.

"Um..." she fumbles. "Maybe another time?"

A look of disappointment flashes in his eyes. It sears her.

But before she can gather her strength to refuse, the café door swings open and a loud voice calls out Jung Kook's name.

Both turn to look and Chae Young's heart drops on seeing long-legged-girl walking in behind the boy.

Jung Kook raises a hand at them. The boy begins to walk over with a grin but slows down on seeing Chae Young. Chae Young manages a polite smile all the while trying not to look at the girl.