XXIX - I NEED THIS

Start from the beginning

If it was really me she texted, I know that I wouldn't react very well when she asks me this question — that is for certain. But either way, with her acting surprised when she sees me, with her forgetting that I am somewhat a part of her life and sort of have the privilege of paying her a visit from time to time, it would definitely sting.

I watch as she straightens, combing through her unkempt hair. If this was any other circumstance, I would have giggled and tell her that she looks cute trying to look presentable. But this wasn't like one of those circumstances. And instead of doing those things, I find myself wondering what's really going on that made Perrie feel like it's the end of the world.

Leigh plants a hand on my shoulder, almost telepathically telling me to keep my mouth shut.

"It was me you texted, Pez," she says, "I ran into Jade on the way. She was looking for you."

Perrie simply nods her head slowly, her eyes never leaving me and it's getting increasingly difficult to unsee the brokenness within them. The fact that she didn't bother to hide it anymore speaks volumes.

For a moment, I thought I was being intrusive. I thought that my being here is unnecessary and that I should just leave. It's clear that she needs Leigh more than me; Leigh understands her more than me.

And before I could stop myself, however, I take a step back. words start spilling from my mouth, "I'm sorry, I feel like I'm intruding so I should just leave —"

"What?" Leigh barks, planting a firm hand on my shoulder and abruptly turning me to face her. And then with a lower volume, she hissed, "What the heck are you talking about?"

"It's no problem, I can wait."

"Actually," Perrie interjects, and we both face her expectantly. From the look on her face, I can tell she's having a hard time explaining, "Jade, if it's alright . . . I can come by the hotel later. I just have something to discuss with Leigh."

I don't say anything; I just freeze into inaction. It was silly of me to be feel hurt because I know that I was the one who suggested it in the first place — but heck, my chest felt so heavy I would need to hunker down. And it's immensely childish of me to even feel a tinge of jealousy when Perrie wants someone else to console her.

Geez, why do I have to like someone right now?

"Jade has something impor —"

"It's fine," I say as I take a step back, feeling Leigh's hand slip off my shoulder. Ignoring the heavy weight in my chest, I give them a lopsided smile and a helpless shrug. "Like I said, I can wait."

And I meant what I said.

I can wait until Perrie sorted herself out. The only problem here is my movie and if Steve is willing to wait for me, too.

XXX

The walk back to the hotel was dreadful. Not because I was dreading going back to bed even at almost eleven in the morning because if anything, I most certainly need to go back to sleep after having what seemed to be the most awkward encounter awhile ago with Perrie and Leigh. But because I dread having to talk to Steve and Jesy if ever they decide to call me.

Especially Steve. I don't even know how to tell him that I need more time without sounding harsh. He's bending backwards extending my deadline until today but circumstances are complicated right now, and I'm afraid he might snap.