"What the what?"

"That." He points at the band-aid and I try to keep the laugh from rising in my chest.

"It's Strawberry Shortcake." I shrug, the pink band-aid practically waving at me.

"Strawberry what?" Darson seems confused and it cracks me up even more.

"Strawberry Shortcake. That cartoon girl character with the pink hair and strawberry hat-" I begin to explain but Darson cuts me off.

"Stop, stop stop. I don't care." He waves me off, dismissively as though even looking at the band-aid makes him sick. "Get the walking strawberry off me." He keeps pointing at it with this offensive look that really hits the spot for me. I burst into laughter, my chest shaking.

"It's just a band-aid." This is too much for my chest. I can't control my guffaws."It's the only kind in there. Just leave it." Such a child. I notice a small cut on his hands too and I motion for him to give me his hand. He hesitates before doing so. I then pass him the ice pack and he holds it to his legs.

Let's get you fixed, Mr. Meldeev.

**************************

I am laying on the couch with the remote in my hand when something drops down beside me. My eyes scan it before meeting Darson's. "Get dressed. You'll accompany me to a business meeting." This takes me by surprise. Is he actually serious or is taking me for a fool? Just earlier he wanted me to stay in a cage.

"Change of heart?" I question as I stand to my feet. I take the black garment bag from the sofa a bit curious.

"Figured the least I can do is take my pet for a walk." A thin line forms on my lips as I have no comments to make. He makes these snide remarks that surely should offend but luckily for me, I'm a patient one. I also genuinely don't care sometimes. I am who I make myself out to be.

"Why do you want me to go to this dinner thing?" I feel around the garment bag for hints of what the dress may look like.

"I don't. Desperate times call for desperate measures." My eyes narrow at him. What is he up to? He's definitely up to something.

"Whatever. Try denying it all you want. Desperation means you want me to come."

"I can think of so many ways I can twist that statement but you're you so I find it a bit absurd."

"Fine by me." I snort before retreating to the room. Darson is already dressed in a royal blue suit waiting for me in the living room. In the middle of doing my makeup, my phone begins to buzz on the vanity. I quickly peek at it and had to do a double take.

James. I haven't talked to him since a few weeks before the wedding. Mostly because I don't know what to say. I know for sure he of all people will be disappointed in me. I haven't told him about the wedding yet and the longer I ignore him, the more I feel guilty. The phone rings out and I resume my makeup. About a minute later, my phone goes buzzing again. I slam the eyeliner down onto the table out of annoyance. I'm already trying not to poke my eyes out, for crying out loud.

Wait, Darson? Darson's name is on the screen. Why is Darson's name on the screen?

I answer and hesitantly put the phone to my ear. "Be sure to prepare nicely. My world is a dog eat dog world. They'll chew you out if you don't look the part." I end the call after he finishes his sentence with a small eye roll. He's literally outside the door.

I finish up my makeup and thank goodness I attended that one makeup class for fun last year. It paid off.

I unzip the garment bag and I'll admit, my eyes grow a bit wider than it is. Darson is not only good at wearing clothes but also good at choosing. This dress is exquisite.