Chapter 11

I cannot stop looking at Darson with suspicion. He's currently conversing with various people around the room so I'm given the perfect opportunity to observe him from afar. An opportunity that is a huge waste because I can't seem to come to a conclusion. I sigh. Why did he have to spew such nonsense earlier? Just what game is he playing? I'm not sure I want to play along. This Darson Meldeev is weirdly different from the other versions I've seen and so I'm really curious as to know what his goal was.

Don't tell me it was all to make Elena jealous. I snort. I look over to my right and there comes Elena. Speak of the she-devil. "Elena." I greet. She ignores me and instead stands beside me.

"You do know he only married you to save face in the business industry right?" I don't quite get what she's saying. I mean I get the business part but save face? Didn't he do it for resources at Bain Industries? "He only rushed it in order to close off a business deal. A married Darson is a mature Darson who is responsible and has higher chances of continuing his business dynasty." Ahh. So, he's reaping the benefits of two things. Talk about killing two birds with one stone. "If it wasn't for that he would have never hurried into marrying you therefore he would have seen what an attention seeking wh-"

"You don't know anything about me." I cut her off, now facing her head on. "So don't ever think you can come up to me and undermine me or judge me." Her brown eyes are boring holes into my head as I speak. The anger is clearly written on her face and it makes me wonder what have I possible done to this woman? Take it up with Darson.

"What business do you own? What job do you do?" She questions with both her hands on her waist. People like Elena don't scare me. If anything I feel for them is pity. They always feel the need to put others down so they can feel high. Just because you didn't get to marry Darson doesn't mean you have to insult me. Hell, I'll trade with you if I can.

A small laugh emits me before I  look at her once again. "Did I marry Darson or you? Why are you so interested in me? Is marrying Darson the same as marrying you? Unbelievable." There's no way I'm letting her get the upper hand in this.

She takes a threatening step forward and I stand straighter, my eyes never leaving hers. "Darson and I have been friends for a very long time."

"Good for you." I say as to congratulate her. "And it'll stay that way." Her hand rises and at that exact moment, Darson pops up. Her hand quickly returns to her side.

"Ladies. You guys seem to be hitting it off." I don't know if he's teasing us or genuinely has no idea what has gone down. By his composure, he is oblivious.

"Like that will ever happen." Elena stomps away, her heels clicking against the polished floor.

"She's pissed. What were you two talking about?" Darson asks in nothing but amusement. Whatever I said was to piss her off so I guess mission accomplished. I don't know how long Darson and I plan to do this marriage thing for so I was confident in saying what I did.

"She really does have the hotts for you. She's threatening my position as Mrs. Meldeev." Darson looks over at where Elena is standing with the same amusement in his eyes. Her back is facing us so she has no clue.

"Funny how as soon as you get someone, they want you more than they ever did before." I give him a side eye.

"Then you two should get married. Release me from this lifetime misery."

"Are you forgetting why you're here?" Right. Father. "Wouldn't that end our contract?" I sigh.

"Stop acting like you don't reap the benefits of this too." He makes it look like I'm the only person benefiting and he is being stringed along. The Meldeevs are now in partnership with the Bains and is currently holding most of the shares. They wanted our resources and here we are.