Arthur Conan Doyle x Reader - "In Sickness And In Health"

You both spend the day on edge when Arthur acts out of sorts, until you finally confront him about what has been on his mind.

Requested on Tumblr ​: "(Giving you something other than a kink or smut ask.) Can I request a story where it's kind of like the story event of "With This Ring" except Y/N saw straight through Arthur's lies. While she's sitting on his lap, she pulls him into a hug, running her fingers through his hair, gently coaxing him to tell her what's been bothering him. Eventually he tells her that he doesn't think he's good husband material and that he thought that if he changed then he would be bettee husband material. [2] (sorry for the long ask.) She the kisses his brow and tells him that he doesn't have to change anything for her and that he is perfect just the way he his. From the top of his head to the tips of his toes, he is perfect in everyway. She also tells him that whoever told him that he's not good husband material can fuk right off. Tell me what you think"

A/N: So this took a long time :D I am SO sorry it is only now being posted T-T.

"Still?" a sigh escaped you as you stared at the Comte.

"Unfortunately, yes, I have tried to turn him down but he insists on meeting you, he is very keen to do so and he says that our relationship would be solidified if you accepted his hand in marriage."

"M-marriage? Why did he take this a step further?"

"I would not be able to tell you what his change of heart would have been, but in this instance, my word alone will not be able to convince him. He would have to hear it directly from you."

A creaking floorboard outside Comte's room tore your attention away from the conversation momentarily.

"Apologies, ma chérie, but I will need to conclude this now, I have business to attend to with Leonardo." he smiled sweetly.

"Of course, thank you for your time, I will meet him tomorrow." you nodded politely before placing your empty tea cup on the tray and walking towards the door. Back to the chores.

****

A shiver ran up your spine, breaking your train of thought, how am I ever going to do this?

"It's a bit cold isn't it?" You questioned, shaking your head in an attempt to get rid of this morning's discussion from your brain, as you snuggled into Arthur's side, walking on the hard paved road.

"It is, sorry sweetheart, this is the last errand of the day and we can go straight home." He gave you a tight smile as he kept you by his side in an attempt to keep you warm.

For someone that was very good at observing and inspecting, he was doing a very poor job at concealing his own feelings. He had seemed on edge the whole day, somewhat distant -- distant for Arthur anyway. It wasn't something common for him to conceal important thoughts like this from you for this long, but you picked up on it instantly. It also made your mind race, what on earth could he be thinking about that might have made him so uneasy?