#36: Five Bullets

Start from the beginning

Vision nodded, "I trust both the Captain's and Wanda's intuition."

"Not mine?" Clint turned to look at him.

"It isn't personal. I've seen you leave a metal spoon in the microwave while cooking." Vision replied in a tone that was informational rather than mocking. Clint crossed his arms sheepishly and just stuck his tongue out.

Natasha spoke up from beside him, "How clear headed are you right now? How much do you remember from before being the Asset?"

Bucky hesitated. His hands opened and closed nervously as his eyes darted to Steve who nodded in encouragement. It was almost funny to see such a large man look so timid. Bucky slouched over, curled in on himself, to make himself seem smaller. Clint wasn't even sure if he was doing it intentionally. Bucky swallowed then gave them a stiff nod, "My ma's name was Winnifred Barnes. I had a sister named Rebecca. I was drafted into the 107th. Steve was always there. Always." At the words, the corner of Bucky's lips curled up in amusement, and he dragged his eyes to stare at his friend. "I remember you used to wear newspapers in your shoes."

Steve's tense shoulders relaxed as he let his crossed arms fall to his side. He was seeing his best friend. Sure, Steve had been staring at his best friend for the past few hours, but it seemed to Clint that this was the first moment that he was seeing Bucky Barnes. The kid he used to run down the streets of Brooklyn with. The entire group seemed to relax a degree at the statement.

"That's adorable." Sam spoke up and crossed his own arms, looking to Steve, "But just like that? He gives us a cute story about your scrawny ass back in the day, and we're supposed to be cool? As if he didn't rip the steering wheel outta my car while I was driving—" Sam pointed at Bucky with a raised eyebrow, "—don't think I forgot about that. You owe me a new car, man."

Bucky took everyone by shock when he furrowed his eyebrows at Sam and spoke in a rough but level voice, "You're the guy that pretends to be a bird or something right?"

Sam's jaw fell open while Steve lowered his head and hid a laugh in a cough. Clint grinned in amusement as he watched the Falcon go through all 7 stages of grief at once. He snickered in excitement and immediately leaned to Natasha. The red head, always three steps ahead of him, turned around to face only him and mouthed, 'No. You can't adopt him.'

"So, what apartment is he getting?" Clint clapped his hands, trying to move this stagnant conversation along, "Because I personally think the open apartment beside Sam's would be ideal."

Sam shot him a glare that Clint beamed at. Natasha shook her head, "If he's going to stay here, I think he should stay with Steve. Having someone he knows close will help him, and it'll make me feel better to know that if he does relapse another super soldier is right there to reign him in."

"That's fair." Steve agreed quickly.

"You can have the larger apartment on the fifth floor. Clint and I will move back onto the fourth floor."

Clint's head snapped away from mocking Sam to look at his girlfriend, "I'm sorry. Did I just hear you hand off our apartment?"

"Weren't you the one that said he should move in with us?" Natasha raised an eyebrow at him. "Now if you boys will excuse me, I have a hospital to visit."

Clint gave Bucky one last look before jogging after Natasha. She slowed enough to allow him to match her pace. When they got out of the building he glanced at Natasha. He nodded, "You know what Wanda said don't you?"

"I'm not fluent in Sokovian." Natasha replied.

"You know enough." Clint argued. "Plus, I know Bucky's cute newspaper story isn't what sold you. It was Wanda looking into his head. Whatever she said about it made you consider it. What did she say?"