#36: Five Bullets

Start from the beginning

Aj was alive.

Nothing was going to sour his mood.

Steve was the first to break the silence. He shook his head, "Look, you know what I'm asking. Your opinion is important to me and... this is our home. I want to know exactly how you feel on the matter of Bucky staying here because I know there are risks."

"I'm cool with it, in case that wasn't already abundantly clear." Clint held one hand up to vote. "It's simple. Bucky saved Aj. Hell, I owe the guy a damn parade. He can move into my apartment if he wants."

"No, he can't." Natasha chimed, shutting down the idea of their third roommate, then added, "No offense to the man sitting on the couch most definitely listening, but how sure are we that he isn't going to relapse?"

Steve held one hand out, "He won't—"

"You don't know that for sure, Steve." Sam argued.

"He's clear headed right now."

"Right now." Vision hummed. "I know I am not as well versed as the others on this matter, but your words insinuate that his condition could change at any moment."

Steve continued to argue back and forth with them, but Clint leaned back a bit to see new faces had entered the scene. Pietro must have sped in with his sister because he was now placing her onto her feet in front of Bucky who stared up at them skeptically.

'My sister... make sure it is safe.' Clint read the boy's lips. He only got half the sentence because of the way Pietro's face was turned. Bucky nodded once at the statement and Wanda stepped forward with eyes glowing red.

"Hey, the children are breaking curfew." Clint said calmly.

Heads snapped in that direction before the entire group hurried over. Steve, panicked and worried, tried to reach Bucky, but the quick kid slid into his path in a blink. Pietro shook his head once, "She means no harm."

"What is she doing?" Natasha questioned.

"This is our home now too." Pietro said with a light glare, apparently upset at being sent to his room earlier, "I need to know it's safe for us. For my sister."

Steve opened his mouth to speak, but Wanda suddenly let out a sharp cry of pain before she crumpled down to her knees. Clint's eyes widened as concern washed over him. It was all short lived though because Wanda didn't pay any of them any attention. She continued to stare up at Bucky, features twisted in anguish, while the man looked back at her in confused worry.

Wanda began to speak rapidly, her head shaking as she spoke with her hands, but it was all in Sokovian. Pietro called out to her in their language, but she snapped an answer at him before continuing to ramble. Wanda stood quickly, gave Bucky one last soft look, before hurrying out of the room then disappearing down the hall into her dorm, still mumbling to herself in another language.

Pietro disappeared in a whirl of wind, leaving them in a state of confusion, but was back in under 5 seconds. He gave them a soft smile and thumbs up, "We are okay with him staying. Wanda approves."

"What did she say—" Clint began to ask, but Pietro disappeared again. He grumbled under his breath in annoyance.

"What..." Bucky slowly stood up, still tense, "Who was she?"

Steve stepped closer, "Buck, you okay?"

Natasha crossed her arms and nodded toward him, "What did they say to you?"

"Just...Just asked to look at me." Bucky answered, but his voice was quiet and rough. Clint hummed in thought to himself. Wanda took a look into his head. The teenager took a look in the man's head and whatever she saw sent her to her knees. His first guess would've been fear, but Clint had recognized the agonizing look in Wanda's eyes. Sorrow. Grief. Wanda didn't run from the room because she was scared of Bucky. She ran because she was overcome with emotion.